008

Location: West Hollywood, California

-BILLY-

"Ever since my mom got with Neil, she seems to never have time for me." Max kicks a stone lightly on the concrete. I sigh with a small frown on my face.

"Well...I'm used to it and it feels nice not having my dad all up my shoulder." I swallow the lump that formed in my throat.

"You are you always sad? I've never seen you smile," she mutters, glancing up at me.

"Smiling is for the weak. I have no reason to smile." She stays silent for a few minutes. I check my watch and it's almost 3 PM. My dad ordered me to buy him cigars at a drugstore nearby when we came back from the skatepark.

"Smiling doesn't necessarily mean you're happy, sometimes it just means you're strong," she says softly. I am neither of those. I cannot bring myself to happiness anymore. I am the weakest being ever.

"What are you now, a poet?" I sarcastically remark. "No. I hate poetry," she drops her skateboard and slowing starts riding it.

"Lottie loved poetry," I whisper to myself. "What'd you say?" Max says. I almost trip on a lifted piece of sidewalk. There's so many of those here, what the actual fuck.

"I said nothing."

"Who's Lottie? Was she your girlfriend?" Max asks. Man don't I wish.

"No, she was my best friend. She moved away and I moved here so we lost touch. I miss her, a lot. I can't go a day without thinking about her or how's she's doing." I sigh miserably.

"How long were you guys best friends?" she asks me. "Since I started school, I had no friends and she wheeled me in with her other friends. I became friends with the others but our friendship was special. It was my favourite." I smile at the thought of our first meeting.

We reach the store which felt like hours, but really it was only a ten-minute walk. I walk in with Max and I go straight to the cashier.

"A pack of...Camel cigars, please." I check the money my dad gave me and I can tell he gave me extra. "Uh..make that two," I tell the cashier. The cashier hands me two packs of the cigars and I give him the money. He hands me the receipt and I stuff one of the packs in my pocket without Max knowing.

Max was playing an arcade game. It was Pac-Man. She seems so concentrated in the game, I just wait for her to finish. I look out through the glass doors and to the horizon. The sky is a nice blue colour and the sun was just to my right. Ever since I came there hasn't been one single rainy day. Usually, Hawkins rained at least once a week. Or in the winter time, it snowed.

"Okay, I'm done. Let's get going." Max holds onto her skateboard and we head out of the store.

"Are we heading to the park?" she asks me.

"I don't feel like going anymore."

"But I wanna skate-" "You can skate some other time, let's go home."

"No. I am tired of being at home all the time. This is why I personally dislike summer." she defends herself. I sigh.

"Then why don't we go somewhere else, I see the same shitty people there all the time," I remark. "Language, please," she whispers.

"You're not the boss of me."

"Okay, fine. Let's go explore another park." she mocks me.

"Don't you dare mock me, ever again." I angrily say to her. "Okay, whatever." she brushes it away.

word count; 612