068

Location; Hawkins, Indiana
December 13, 1984

-BILLY-

"I'm almost done! Just one sec!" I heard Lottie call from the top of the steps. I was all dressed which wasn't much. Blue button down shirt and my usual jeans. She was taking so long, so I went to my room to see if she was in there. She wasn't.

I went to the restroom and she was there with Max and Susan prepping Max's hair. They all looked at me and Lottie gave me a small smile while Max gave me a harsh look. I knew they weren't going to get done on time so I just turned and walked to my room. I just waited for them to get ready.

I heard their footsteps especially Charlotte's heels walk to my room. "We're done," she said while flattening her short bob down. I stood up from my bed and smirked, "Your hair looks fine darling," I said. She smiled at me. I smiled back. I grabbed her hand and lightly dragged her out of the room. "C' mon, let's go,"

-

We entered the dance separately from Max because she wanted to be with her friends. The wounds on my knuckles have already healed. I glanced at Lottie and she looked...brighter. Brighter than when I first saw her face that night. She was wearing dark maroon lipstick with her little black dress.

I was chaperoning for extra hours and they let us bring a date along

I was chaperoning for extra hours and they let us bring a date along. Nancy and Jonathan were also chaperoning.

The music was a little trashy with a bunch of pop tunes.
"Do you remember our Snowball?" Charlotte asked me. I nodded. We only went to two snowballs together. One of them she was with Steve so I basically stood on the bleachers doing absolutely nothing bored out of my mind.

"I just...wished you would have danced with me. But I liked it and it was a fun experience," I said.
"We danced, I remember," she said. "I don't think so," I said.

"Yes we did," she replied. "Not a slow dance," I said. She didn't reply to that. "Oh," she whispered. I grabbed her gently by the waist and hugged her. "It was my fault anyways," I whispered into her ear.

"No, it was mine," she said. "I was being stupid in love and I thought if I didn't dance with him, my life was over,"

"but I don't regret any dances I took with you, I never will, but I'll regret not taking a slow one when I had the chance," she said. Right after she said that, a slow song.

"Lying in my bed, I hear the clock tick and think of you
Caught up in circles, confusion is nothing new
Flashback, warm nights almost left behind
Suitcases of memories, time after..."

She looked up at me. I place a loose strand behind her ear. "We can slow dance right now if you'd like," I said. She nodded. She takes my hand and leads me to the dance floor. The small kids around us were staring but it was okay, it didn't matter. I was with her and that mattered.