31

THIRTY-ONE

The chilling air made goosebumps rise from her body. It was four in the morning and she was quietly walking inside her home, trying not to wake her mother and sister up. This was the second time that she had done this, but still, she was scared that she'd have to make up a lie to not get in trouble.

Little did she know that her mother was waiting for her with a scowl on her face.

   She opened the door to her room as silent as she could be, but it was too late.

   "Mom!" she exclaimed as she jumped at the sight of her.

  Oh, she was in big trouble.

   "Who did you have a sleepover with? Huh?" her mother asked as she stood up from her bed.

   Nari gulped, "A friend."

   "A friend? No, I want their names, Nari," her mother began pacing around the room quickly, "I am sick and tired of you coming home late every week! This has been going on for months now."

    Nari looked down, "Why are you so upset–"

    "I am not upset, I am angry." her mother reassured.

   "Why mom? I haven't done anything bad." Another lie.

   Her mother chuckled, she took out her phone out of her robe, "Are you sure? Because the phone call that I just received says otherwise."

   Nari's eyes grow wide. There would be only one person who would call her mother.

   That person would be her father, who knows about her affiliations with bangtan.

   Oh great.

   "Wh–what phone call?" she asked.

    Her mother jogged and closed the door before standing in front of her.

   "I picked up the phone, thinking it was you. Turns out it wasn't. The person who called me kept saying that you were doing something dangerous," her mother whispered, "that it was too late to back out of it."

   "I can explain–"

    The woman began tearing up, "I don't know what it is that you are doing behind my back, but let's get one thing straight. You are not your father, I know you heard our conversation the day he left," she said, "you are so much more, there is no need for you to go on the wrong path."

    Nari began tearing up too.

    "As your mother, I am telling you to stop whatever it is that you are doing before things get worse. I am also telling you," she took her hands, "that if it means making a big decision then so be it. Just don't put yourself in danger."

    Nari shook her head as the tears continued free falling against her face.

    "I'm sorry, but I can't stop mom, as that person told you," she wiped her tears before reaching for her purse, she took out the envelope Namjoon had given her the day before with money and placed it on her bed, "it's too late."

   She raked her closet quickly, ignoring the pleas of her mother. She searched for the school uniform and took it before storming out of her room.

   Nari ran down the stairs, took her school bag and stormed out of her house. Her tears made her vision blurry but she kept running.

   The girl kept running as she held her school uniform on her chest to the place that she felt safe, warm and loved.

    Jungkook's house.

-

    She knocked on the door a few times before it began opening.

    A man who resembled Jungkook appeared. Nari would assume that he was his father, indeed he was.

    "Hello..." he trailed as he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

    Nari wiped her tears and smiled, "Hi, is Jungkook here?"

    The man looked behind him before returning his gaze to her, "He is, and you are?"

"Nari, Yun Nari." she shook his hand.

"Dad, who–Nari?" Jungkook appeared in the frame with his uniform on.

    Nari smiled, just his presence brought back that warm feeling inside her

"Hi." she said.

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows before whispering something to his father. His father nodded before heading back inside.

"Come on in." Jungkook told her, before leading her to his room.

     As soon as he closed the door, Nari let the uniform fall from her arms. She rapidly embraced him as she sobbed into his chest.

    Instantly, he hugged her back tightly.

     "Babe," he mumbled to her hair, "what's wrong?"

      She kept crying for a few minutes. When she had stopped crying, she looked up at him.

    "My mom. She got a call and the person told her that I was doing something dangerous." she mumbled.

    He held her tighter to his body before plopping on his bed with her, "What do you mean? She knows about bangtan?"

    The girl sighed, "I don't know, but she told me to stop whatever I was doing."

     He played with her hair as she placed her head on his chest, "Nari–"

    The door opened and both teens spread apart.

    "Mom said that breakfast was ready." his little sister said before running downstairs.

     They both chuckled, standing up from the bed.

    "I'm going to change, where's the bathroom?" she asked.

    "Down the hall, first door to your right." Jungkook said as he kissed her forehead.

    She smiled before walking to the hall and following the directions.

    The girl stepped inside the luxurious bathroom in awe. She began changing her clothes rapidly before stuffing the other clothes into her bag.

   As soon as she was finished she left the bathroom. Stepping out of it, she stumbled upon Jungkook's little sister.

    "Hi." The girl said before continuing her way through the hall.

As soon as she spotted Jungkook, she saw the despair in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked him as she soothed his fallen curl.

He shook his head, "No, Nari," he told her, "Namjoon called, he needs us right now."

"What, why? What happened?" She asked him.

"Someone told Zik about our plan, so he left," Jungkook told her.

   "He ran away."