BOOK 2 - Through the Ashes (first chapter excerpt)

ONE:

"Jungkook!"

"Jungkook, no!"

"Please, let me go to him—"

"Please! I need to know if he's okay!"

"I've fulfilled my mission, Nari. I finally got my revenge on all of you, specifically him."

"It's a shame he turned you into one of them."

She sits up rapidly, the covers of her bed let the breeze sweep in, giving her goosebumps. Her heart thumps in her chest. She needs to call him.

Taking the phone, she puts it on speaker. It rings once, it rings twice.

At the third ring, his melodic voice fills her ears.

"Hello?"

"I just wanted to know if you are okay."

"who–Nari? I thought I told you–"

"Not to call you again, I know. I just needed to hear your voice this once."

"Nari, you had that nightmare again?"

"Yeah, but knowing you're okay calms me."

Silence invaded their call. It wasn't like this. Their calls would never be this awkward. This was their new reality.

"Well, is that's all–"

"Did you find him?"

"No."

"Where are you now?"

"Not telling you."

"It's been three years, everyone's been asking about you."

"How flattering, now that they know who we are everyone seems to care."

"Jungkook–"

"Don't expect me to go to Busan ever again; I'll put everyone in danger. It's better this way and you know it."

"But–"

"No. This is something that I need to settle by myself. I should go."

"Wait, please. We weren't like this."

"There isn't a 'we' anymore, it's for the best. Say hi to the hyungs and my family for me. Good night."

Just like that, her tears started falling from her eyes again. Three years. He has disappeared for three years, no one knows where he is. Not even Nari.

But if there's something she learned while being in Bangtan, it was to never give up.

She wasn't giving up on finding him. She'll keep trying, no matter how many years it takes.

Nari will find Jungkook.