< NINETEEN >

Scratches And Scars • D. Dixon

| BESIDE THE DYING FIRE | Chapter 19

: Walking With The Dead :

Walkers of every kind in the large city of Atlanta looked over the helicopter that was flying through the sky

Walkers of every kind in the large city of Atlanta looked over the helicopter that was flying through the sky. They stopped what they were doing and started following it. The noise was attracting them, and all of them made their way into becoming a hoard. Hundreds, maybe thousands were all over and heading straight into the forest. But when a gunshot was sounded off, they all stopped and started heading over towards the noise again.

Little did the three humans and dead body know that the hoard of walkers were running their way.

<><><>

Carl and Natalie were silent, trying to comprehend what had just happened as Rick was just walking along side them. "You bit too?" Carl asked and Rick looked over to Natalie who furrowed her eyebrows.

"No." Rick muttered.

"Shane was." Carl stated as he looked to the ground.

"That wasn't Shane. You know that." Rick told him and Carl shrugged his shoulders.

"Used to be." He answered shortly. "What happened? You guys attacked? I mean, I- - I heard a gunshot, but I didn't see any walkers nearby. How did Shane die?" Carl asked and Rick stopped the two as he looked over them.

He was about to answer as growling rolled into Natalie's ear and she turned her head to see the large group of walkers. She gasped and held onto Carl's shoulder. "Oh my god. Go go go go go go go." Rick whispered as the three were running off towards some sort of building.

"We- - we gotta get to the house, tell the others." Carl whispered. 

"We'll never get through that. Can't go around. Carl, stay close to Natalie and me. Go!" He told him as they started running in the herd and the walkers snapped their jaws over the man and child. Natalie only tried to protect them with her ability, and pushed the walkers away.

They made it to the large barn, and Rick slammed the door shut. The walkers started banging against it and Natalie held in her breath. Rick placed a metal pipe through the handles and they started looking for a way out.

Rick grabbed a thing of gasoline and started pouring it on the ground. "All right, here we go. Come on. Hurry. Oh shit. All right. Okay. Up there. Hurry." Rick kept muttering as he was scared for his life. They all were.