< TWENTY TWO >

Scratches And Scars • D. Dixon

| WALK WITH ME | Chapter 22

: Welcome Darkness My Old Friend :

Everything was calm, it was just a normal day with no one and nothing around until the helicopter was flying in

Everything was calm, it was just a normal day with no one and nothing around until the helicopter was flying in. It's wings causing the loud noise to echo across the forest area. A man was inside, a faded look in his eye. "Whiskey-1-2. Whiskey-1-2, do you copy?" He asked and with no response his team looked around in slight disappointment.

"Gonna one-eighty, close the distance, get back in contact." He stated, and when he lifted up on the curve, the aircraft jumped and the engine sputtered.

Beeping was left on the monitors and the men panicked. But, then the plane evened out and everyone took a deep breath. "Have faith, guys. I've got us through a lot worse than some light turbulence." He told them and when everything seemed calmed again, an explosion went off.

The top of the helicopter was darkened with black smoke. "Hold on!" The pilot yelled.

"Wellsey!" The guy yelled holding on the straps of his seat belt.

"Mayday, mayday, mayday!" He yelled into his mic and when no answer responded he scoffed. "Crash positions! I'm putting her down by the road." He stated and the ride was bumpy as he had no more control. "We're going in hard!" He yelled.

The helicopter landed into the trees, causing death for all of those soldiers.

Out in the distance, Andrea was looking over the black smoke as Michonne showed up with her two chained zombies. Andrea looked to her and started walking that way, leaving Michonne to pull on the chain and they started following as well.

<><><>

Natalie looked over the sun rise of the beautiful golden orange sky. She was already warm by the summers heat. The outside of the prison was cleaned out, and she was sitting on the cement. She looked over the walkers by the metal fence, her brown eyes scanning the area.

She could feel her head pounding in pain. The headaches had gotten more frequent. The noises and voices louder, she shook her head and closed her eyes, trying to understand what it all meant. She was having dreams of a large fire, a man in an eyepatch just watching her while she was drowning.

It was like she was in a tank of water, no way to get out with a lid on top and she screamed and screamed to get out, but he just smiled and watched.

It was an uneasy feeling, her breath hitched and she felt a hand glide over her shoulder and down to her hip. "I thought I would find you here." Daryl whispered into her ear.

He sat down next to her, seeing the dark far away look in her eyes. "I'm just having nightmares is all." She told him and she rubbed her head while leaning on Daryl's shoulder.

She honestly was tired, but the way her mind was running there was no way she was getting any sleep. He kissed her forehead and she turned her head to face him. "You'll be okay." He whispered and she smiled slightly and she grabbed his hand.

"Daryl, I really think something is wrong with me." She told him and he furrowed his eyebrows. He placed a hand over her cheek.

"What's wrong?" He asked and she shook her head.

"I-I don't know. It's like I can hear walkers." She breathed out and Daryl's eyes widened.

"What?" He asked again, needing her to repeat.

"The human they once were, I can here them in their mind. Screaming, crying, yelling as to what they are seeing." She told him and then rubbed her face. "I'm going crazy." She breathed out and Daryl grabbed her chin to pull her face up.

"Hey, hey, hey. Calm down, you're okay." He told her and she shook her head.

"I'm not!" She screamed and she got up while heading out of her way towards the fences and placed her hand through the hole as the walkers looked at it with no interest. "See! They don't want to eat me. They want you because your human. What am I?" She asked and pulled her hand free.

"Natalie-" he tried to calm her down, but she just kept coming up with more questions.

"Everyone calls it a power, but in reality I'm freaking out, because everyday I have the chance to wake up as one of those things." She reminded herself. "I was bit and scratched and yet I haven't turned, but I can hear them!" She screamed and looked to Daryl.

"Natalie, calm down." He told her and she sunk into his embrace. "You're not going to turn into those things." He whispered and she blinked away her threatening tears.

"How do you know?" She asked and he smiled.

"Because I would never let that happen." He told her and kissed her lips softly. She gasped in surprise and he held on her frame tightly.

She pulled away to take a deep breath and that's when she heard footsteps coming down. "Natalie?" Carl asked, the voice soft and unsure.

She blinked her dazed look away and looked to the smaller boy. "Yes?" She asked and Daryl unlatched his arms.

"I-I need to show you something." He whispered and she furrowed her eyebrows while looking to Daryl.

"I'll be back in thirty. If I'm not, come find us." She told him and he nods his head while walking away and she looked to Carl.

"Now, what did you want to show me?" She asked and the boy grabbed her hand while pulling her along to a gate filled with walkers.

The girl wasn't paying much mind to it, until she saw Carl stick his arm in. "No!" She screamed and that's when the walkers did nothing.

They just stared at it, not wanting anything to do with the small boy's flesh that was right in front of their face. "Oh my god." She breathed out and Carl looked to her in slight fear.

"I-I am just like you."

<>•<>•<>•

<>•<>•<>•

Small itty bitty chapter for you guys to see where the plot in my own story line will go. Thank you all so much for reading!

( Word Count 1033 )

| Edited |