< THIRTY NINE >

Scratches And Scars • D. Dixon

| INDIFFERENCE | Chapter 39

: For Yourself :

Rick took the large bandage, then placed it over his palm and started wrapping it

Rick took the large bandage, then placed it over his palm and started wrapping it. His mind was set on this one task as he went for the tape. Beth was walking down an isolated hall and Carol was looking over the blade that she had murdered Karen and attempted to murder Natalie. A knock sounded of as Carol gasped and got up to see the young girl at the window. "Ma'am." She mumbled.

"Hey, Lizzy." Carol muttered to the small girl.

"They told me to come down here." She stated.

"Are you okay?" Carol asked and the girl gave her a slight nod. "Good. I wanted to see you because I'm going on a run with Rick." She told her and the man who was outside was feeling up the car was the last bit of gas he could.

"Do you think Daryl's dead?" Lizzy asked.

"No. He had to go far away to get the medicine, so it's gonna be a while. We lost all our food in cell block D, so we're gonna go look for more and whatever else we can find." Carol told her and Lizzy thinks slightly. 

"Nobody's died yet." Lizzy stated and Carol furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yet?" Carol questioned.

"I think a lot of people are going to die. It's what always happens. Makes me sad, but... at least they get to come back." She told the older woman and Carol sighed.

"Lizzy, when they come back, they aren't- - people aren't who they were." Carol tried to explain to her.

"Yeah, but they're something. They're someone." Lizzy stated and Rick was back inside, looking over the blood stained beds of cellblock A. Natalie and Glenn still held up in their bed, the two of them shivering and holding each other for warmth. "I'm little now. If I don't die, I'll get big. I'll be me, but I'll be different. It's how it is." Lizzy stated and Rick had a flashback to when Carol was about to murder Karen.

The woman placed the knife into her head and Rick looked to the floor. "We all change. We all don't get to stay the same way we started." Lizzy stated.

"Lizzy, it's more complicated- -" Carol told her.

"You said I was weak. I'm not. I'm strong, so I'm telling you what I think." Lizzy told her and Rick imagines Carol dragging the body out of the cells with blood trailing behind her.