You and Me

After Jessica had given birth she had wanted to be alone with the baby. Everyone except Dorthy had left. Zoe had come later that night to meet the baby. Both mothers stayed with Jessica throughout the night. It was difficult to say the least, but Jessica was too head over heals to be bothered by the sleepless night. She didn't want to put her baby down. Jessica was still in disbelief that she was a mother. She couldn't take her eyes off of her. The baby was born with a full head of brown hair, just like Danny's. Her cheeks were chubby and her lips were plump. Her eyes glistened every time she'd gaze up at her mother. Jessica was in love. Everyone had fallen for her so quickly.

The next morning-

Everyone rushed back to the hospital early that morning to have a formal meeting with the baby. They were so anxious to hold her and finally find out her name. All of Jessica's siblings, Zoe, and Dorthy surrounded her and waited.

"I want you all to meet baby Eden Maeve Huston." Jessica says proudly as she holds her baby girl in her arms.

All of her family, including Zoe gathered around her bedside as she cradled baby Eden.

Dorthy immediately broke into tears once hearing the baby's name. Maeve was Dorthy mother's name. She passed away many years back. Originally Jessica planned to name Eden after Jessica's father with Lange, she later changed her mind.

"Eden Maeve... thank you, Jessica. It's so beautiful, my mother would have loved it." Dorthy whispers into her ear as she leans down to give Jessica a hug.

Then Dorthy looks down at her new granddaughter and smiles. "It's very fitting, little lady." Dorthy chuckles

"I can't believe I have a new little grand baby. She's just so precious!" Zoe squeals

"Jessica, I just can't believe you have a little baby of your own. She looks just like you, too!" Ann says as she sits on the bed gazing over at her niece

Eden makes a few noises and everyone smiles and giggles.

"You're such a little cutie!" Jane chuckles

"I'm so lucky" Jessica says

"I have to say, Eden is the cutest baby yet." George buds in

They all look at George and laugh.

"I mean look at those chubby little cheeks!" Dorthy says

"You did well, Jess." Ann says

She looks at her baby once more and immediately sees Danny. "It wasn't just me."

"She has a little bit of mommy and daddy in her, huh?" Zoe says in a baby voice

Eden opens her mouth and Jessica could have sworn she saw a little smile. Jessica tears up a bit and kisses her baby. This is the happiest Jessica had ever been, she had Danny to thank for giving her this beautiful angel.

//-//

Sunday-

Jessica's stay at the hospital was very short. She didn't mind either. She was ready to take Eden home and begin her new life. Eden and Jessica were both doing amazing. Jessica was recovering well and Eden had passed all her test and was thriving. She was also latching perfectly. Eden was a perfect little baby.

"Okay, I think we have everything!" Dorthy says scanning the room one last time.

The nurse helps Jessica into the wheel chair and hands her the baby.

"Are you ready?" The nurse asks

Jessica nods "I'm more than ready."

Before they leave Jessica's doctor catches them right outside the door.

"Jessica and baby Eden, leaving so soon?" The doctor asks

Jessica nods happily. "Yes, but we'll see you in a week."

"That's right... I'm so happy to see a smile on your face. I knew you could do it." He says putting his hand on her shoulder

"Thank you for everything. We are lucky to have you as our doctor."

"It's my job, don't thank me. Now go home and enjoy every moment. Don't be afraid to call if you need anything."

"Of course, thank you."

"Bye Eden! Be good to your mommy!"

//-//

"Welcome home, little girl. This is where you and I are going to live... you're going to grow up here!" Jessica holds her daughter in her arms and walks around the house. Dorthy comes in after her with some of her things. She laughs at the sight of Jessica's talking to her baby.

Right as they walk in Eden opens her eyes. She was confused at first and had a puzzled look on her face, but when she saw her mother smiling her puzzled look diminished.

"Thank you for helping bring some of that in."
Jessica says to her mother.

"Of course. How about I make you something to eat?"

"That's alright, I'm okay for now." Jessica says happily

"Okay, honey. Do you mind if I go take a quick rest?"

"Go right ahead... I'm going to take her upstairs to nurse her." Jessica says

Dorthy was going to stay with Jessica a few nights until she was ready to be on her own. Dorthy had been exhausted from the long night and day that they had. She went into the guest room to take a nap. Jessica was drained as well but she was too happy to nap.

She took Eden up into the nursery and closed the door.

"This is your bedroom. When you get older you'll be able to decorate it yourself, but until then it will be like this." Jessica cousins stop talking to the baby. She knew it sounded funny every time she did, but she couldn't help it.

Eden had a blank face. She had been waiting to be fed. Jessica giggles to herself.

"You don't know what mama is saying, huh?" Jessica smiles

Before Jessica goes to sit in the rocking chair to nurse her, she glances to her left to see a black and white picture of her and Danny. Jessica decided to take the baby to the picture.

"This man right here, that's your daddy... he was the most incredible man in the world. I was lucky enough to fall in love with him many years ago. He isn't here with us, but I know he's watching down on you. I also know he is madly in love with you just like me and everyone else. I promise you that as you get older I'll tell you more about him and what an amazing man he was. Maybe one day when you're in school you'll go tell all your friends about how your dad is your guardian angel and that is was the coolest guy around." Jessica could see her daughter looking at the picture. It warmed her heart.

Jessica walks over the the rocking chair, sits down and begins nursing her daughter. She was at such peace. Both Jessica and the baby. All this time Jessica had been so afraid of becoming a mother and having a child of her own. Now that she had her daughter in her arms she didn't understand why she was so afraid. Jessica dreaded Danny not being here, but she had to get through it.

"I promise I'll never leave you, Eden. I love you with all my heart. It's just you and me, little lady."

//-//