Part 42 ∞∞∞ Who are you?

I raised my foot and stepped forwards. I looked at the churning green liquid, the tubes, and the child. I took another step, another step, another step, another... until I was nose to nose with the child, only split apart by the thick layer of glass. And those eyes. Orochimaru and Kabuto stayed silent as they walked up to me and gazed into the container as well. I glanced at Orochimaru. A smile was growing on his face and I gaged in disgust.

"Who the heck is she? Another one of your stupid experiments?" I asked skeptically, trying hard to extinguish the uneasiness growing up my spine.

"An interesting child. Yes... interesting indeed." Orochimaru said with a smile and I clenched my fists. He knew what I wanted him to answer, yet he's purposefully dragging the conversation.

"Who am I to her?" I demanded again and staring back into those dark, black eyes.

"No one... yet," Orochimaru said with a cold snicker and walked around to the other side of the container. Where the tubes were connected to. Where a huge latch was located.

"Do you want to talk to her? I can wake her up." Orochimaru said with a smile and I wanted to vomit right then. But I couldn't... or didn't. I stayed silent. There was no need to answer Orochimaru anyway. He was already opening the latch. The tubes whirled alive and the green liquid was sucked out of the container. The wires and lines connected to the child snapped off and she dropped from her original position to the bottom of the container with a dull thud. Orochimaru pulled open the latch and a disgusting smell filled the whole room. I gagged and looked away. My vision scraped past Kabuto, who was staring at the girl intently. I paused and observed him. Those eyes. I had seen them before.

"Yoru..." He whispered, still not noticing me, and I narrowed my eyes. I'd never have thought.

"Orochimaru..." A weak voice suddenly moaned from behind me and I froze.

"Orochimaru-sama..."

"What are you doing?"

"What... are you doing?"

I took in a deep breath and cleared my head. I slowly turned around and  looked around. The girl was standing in the glass container, looking out at Orochimaru, her back facing me.

"It's ended." He said and smiled his sickly smile.

"I sense no change." The girl said and looked around. I stayed silent. The girl didn't seem to know of me or Kabuto's existence yet but she standing there was already too much for me. The existence of a girl like her was too much for me. She shouldn't exist. But I think everyone here knows that already, maybe even the girl herself. No... or it could be the other way around. I shouldn't exist.

"No... no..." Orochimaru muttered and shook his head slightly, his long oily hair swishing on his shoulders and against his bony cheeks.

"What has changed? I feel like I remember everything. No memory was taken, no four years of my life taken. I don't understand what you mean." The girl said and started to climb out of the container.

"The price... indeed... I want part of your life... yes... and I also want your memories. But I can promise that even if you don't remember your purpose, I will make sure your wish is fulfilled. Yes... those are the prices and promises I make."

I sucked in a sudden breath and let out a small noise. I wasn't sure what it was either. A strangled scream of self-disappointment? A muffled sigh of utter hopeless laughter? Whatever it was... it caught Orochimaru's attention. He looked at me. His eyes were glinting and full of satisfaction. Sensing Orochimaru's gaze, the girl turned as well. Half of her body was outside of the container, half was inside. But her eyes pierced through the thick layers of glass and mist and stared into mine. Her eyes widened. My eyes burned.