chapter i

chapter i. From Where it Begins

Anika had had a long day. All she wanted was to eat food made by her sister and then enjoy a long shower, following which, she'd sleep in her own bed after a long weeked of running around. However, as she opened the door to her eyes, she found it eerily quiet. It was almost ominous.

So, when she headed to her kitchen, she was only mildly surprised that there was a big surprise for her. That did not mean it didn't absolutely shock her. She looked on as she saw her sister kissing a man. Very passionately. This was definitely somewhere at the top of her list of horrible experiences. She had been wanting to surprise Gauri by coming home early, not expecting to be surprised herself.

Clearing her throat, she looked away. Could her sister stop already?

On receiving no respone, she turned back again only to find them still continuing. Did they not realise they had audience?!

"Gauri!" she wanted her voice to be firm but it was a mere whisper. It felt awkward. She tried again. This time, her voice was more of a scream, alerting them. They pulled away and looked at Anika with wide eyes.

Their fault they decided to kiss in the middle of Anika's kitchen. She couldn't cook but it was her kitchen and she liked it clean. And definitely clean of people making out with one another.

"Anika Di!" Gauri squeaked before clearing her throat. "You said you'd be busy the whole weekend."

"So you decided to call random men to the house?"

"No!" Gauri was quick. "This isn't some random man, Di."

Anika crossed her arms across her chest, waiting for Gauri to explain what she meant.

"This is Omkara."

"Omkara who?"

"Remember seven months ago, there was this exhibition in Pune when you had come home."

"Oh. He is that artist guy." Anika nodded, slightly remembering him from back then.

"So when I came to Mumbai two months ago, I met him in a cafe. We had been talking since when we first met in Pune. Then things happened..."

"Do not tell me, you came to Mumbai for him and not because you wanted to work?"

Gauri smiled sheepishly making Anika look at her sister in bewilderment.

"I can't lie..."

"Gauri Trivedi, is there any other scandalous information that I need to be aware of? That our parents need to be aware of?"

Gauri gulped. Not the parents, please.

"Di, we have been dating for long now. I mean, we also plan on getting married soon."

At that, Anika looked at him who gently nodded.

"Can he speak?"

"Sorry what?" it was Omkara this time, baffled.

"Oh, he can." Anika murmered to herself.

"I am going to need to talk to Omkara. Let me freshen up."

Both of them meekly nodded.

"And while I am away, no dirty business." Anika narrowed her eyes before walking to her room.

Once she was gone, Om turned to Gauri.

"You told me she wouldn't be home!"

"I didn't know, okay?"