chapter xxviii

chapter xxviii. The Perfect Liar

Om scoffed when he saw the entire Oberoi Mansion doused in darkness. Turning to his lovely girlfriend, he whispered, “At least should have tried to make it less conspicuous. Our home is not so dark even when nobody is home.”

Gauri chuckled. “I had no hand in this.”

They continued walking further towards the stairs, ready for the family to jump-start them. They had almost reached the base of the stairs when they heard a loud clattering.

Ready to be surprised, they turned to the source of the noise. The lights came on and all they could spot was Anika trying to balance on a tall stool.

“Di?”

“Oh. Hi.” Anika breathed out. “Sorry to startle you guys.” She carefully stepped down, wiping her palms on her jeans. “Everyone went to sleep but I am just panicking so much. What if the lighting isn't perfect? What if the drapes fall down on someone and the party becomes the joke of the year? The stress will end me soon.”

Gauri quirked an eyebrow at her sister.

“Plus, the personal disappointment from your entire family will burden me forever. I shouldn't have taken this up.” Anika sighed.

Om looked around the house, nodding his head. “It looks gorgeous, actually. I am sure there will be no problems.”

Anika smiled. “You really think so?”

“I do.” Om smiled reassuringly.

With that, they fell silent. Anika stared at them awkwardly. “Is there something else or can I go back to work? I was rearranging the lights and really need my slee-”

Gauri's meaningful stare cut her off.

“Oh right. It's midnight. Huh. Happy Birthday Om! I obviously have no gifts to give because I have no idea about your interests but I can say thank you because even the prospect of this headache,” she looked at Gauri, “going away is very therapeutic.”

“Ha ha ha.” Gauri snorted.

“Where is everyone else?” Om asked, confusion all over his face.

“I don't know about everyone but Pinky Aunty, Janhavi Aunty and Rudra are having their beauty sleeps to look their best tomorrow, Shakti Uncle and Tej Uncle and Dadi are asleep because sleep is a necessity...”

“So you only don't know what Shivaay is doing.” Om raised a brow, amused.

“Don't know, don't care.”

“Are you sure everyone's asleep?” Gauri asked.

“Yes Gauri, it's midnight. What do you expect?”

Anika noticed Om's face fall a little. “Oh right. Birthday boy. Well, I could bake you a little mug-cake. Should take 15 minutes and 15 more minjtes when Gauri tries to redo my horrible attempt.”

“Oh, no no. It's alright. Tomorrow is a big day for everyone. You are right, they should be resting.”

Anika shrugged. “Sucks to be an Oberoi, huh?”

Om shook his head. “No. It's only my birthday. It comes every year.”

“Wow, you are very mature. If Gauri's birthday had been forgotten, she would lay down dead bodies. And throw a lot of tantrums. How the hell are you two surviving?”

“Because we love each other, Di.” Gauri rolled her eyes.

“Yeah whatever. Go and sleep so I cna finish my work and sleep too.” Anika made a face, turning back to her work.