chapter xiii

chapter xiii. Date One - Fail

Shivaay tried to smile at his date for tonight but when he saw Anika wince behind her, he was sure it looked nothing like a smile. He was rather confused because at this point, all of it seemed stupid. Then there was this doubt he had...

When Revathy continued to look at him expectantly, Shivaay led her to the table and pulled out a chair for her, which she gratefully took. He could feel Anika's eyes on them and it took everything in him to not stare right back till she gave up. Annoying woman.

"Well, I was almost sure someone was pulling a prank on me when I got the phone call that day. It was only after I confirmed the office number that I could at least imagine it. Now, sitting right in front of you, it feels ten times more real." Revathy nervously chuckled.

Shivaay was used to being regarded so highly and this was probably why he finally gave her a smile, more of a smirk.

"Well, I decided it was finally time to settle down." Shivaay provided. He was not sure he could do 'small talk' or even flirt with anyone. Plus, something about Revathy ticked him off.

Thankfully, to give him some more time, they were approached by the man waiting for their table tonight.

"Sir, Ma'am, should I serve the drink?"

Shivaay nodded almost immediately, the wine would definitely help but Revathy shook her head negatively. "I don't drink, unless the occassion is extremely demanding. Hope you understand." She nervously smiled and Shivaay had to conceal a frown. Nodding lightly, he looked at the waiter to pour him a glass.

Shivaay knew it was going to be a long night.

---

After staying silent for more than ten minutes, Anika couldn't contain herself. Looking at Shivaay with raised eyebrows, she asked, "What was that?"

Shivaay shrugged, not bothering to answer. He proceeded to sit in the car and Anika followed, looking at him expectantly.

"Shivaay! I was gone for TWO minutes to check in with the chef why the desert hadn't arrived and you seemed to have gotten in an argument with Revathy, shouted at her like anything and now you are so chill. As if you didn't make a girl cry on your first date."

"Not a date."

"Arey? At least tell me where it went wrong?"

"In your research."

"Huh?"

"That girl was involved in three scams in the last two years. Please look at who you set me up with." Shivaay glared at her, quietening her.

"Pinky Aunty had her in her list." Anika softly mumbled.

"Mom probably just saw her in some party and talked to her parents."

"But maybe she realised her mistake, you never know when you are losing out on something good."

"Anika, one of those scams involved someone I know from college. She was also dating him before the broke up a while ago. So to say, I would probably be someone she is using as a rebound or something. I have a class."

Anika frowned. "How did you find out everything while still talking to her?"

"I have a nice memory and I asked Khanna to be quick."

"Couldn't even complete the dinner. Bechari ko desert toh khaane dete."

Shivaay rolled his eyes. Anika's phone rang and she quickly picked it up.