chapter xliv

chapter xliv. A (attempt to have a) Shivaay-Free Weekend

It was only after they were so close to Pune, with Anika feeling a little sobre that she realised she had left her phone back home.

“You know, we could go back.” Varun looked at her, even though he himself looked unsure.

“Oh come on. It's probably for the best. What better gift for my Mom than her daughter leaving her phone miles away?” Anika chuckled.

“I am sorry for catching you at a bad time. You were drunk which is partly why you forgot, maybe?”

“Oh that's okay. Your work is important. Although, are you sure you'll be able to have that early morning meeting after driving all the way. I can drive while you sleep?”

Varun smiled. “I would but I really don't trust anyone with my car.”

Anika rolled her eyes and playfully hit his shoulder.

---

Radhika, Harsh and Shikha and Manohar were delighted (and very sleepy) when Anika and Varun rang their doorbells past 1 am that night.

Shikha and Radhika's birthdays fell on the same day and Varun suggested they go surprise their parents. Anika saw an opportunity to try and forget about Shivaay and took it.

After their bags were kept in their respective houses, the two families spent hours together on the common lawn until Varun excused himself for the call around 5 am. The others decided to disperse as well.

Radhika and Harsh walked home with Anika, their faces glowing with happiness.

“You know, you should've brought your sister along.” Radhika said.

“Of course Gauri is all you can think about.” Anika whined, flopping down on the couch.

“Oh come on, you know that is not true.” Her father sat down beside her.

“I am just worried about her.” Radhika sighed, sitting on her other side.

“She's at a work conference Mumma. Don't worry, Om's with her.”

Ussi baat ki toh problem hai.” Harsh muttered, making Anika grin.

She looked at her father with a small grin, who rolled his eyes.

“He might be a nice man but I am not sure how I feel about both my daughters marrying into the same house.”

“Oho, why do you have to think like that? Om and Shivaay are both very nice. I am sure.” Radhika provided.

“But it's only Om.” Anika tried her best to act like that particular piece of information didn't bother her.

Her Dad grinned. “See, I knew Anika wouldn't choose him. I haven't heard nice things about him.”

“Okay, that,” Anika interrupted, “is not true. Shivaay might be a little bit arrogant but he's a great guy. He's an amazing friend as well.”

Anika didn't miss the flicker of an understanding in both her parents' eyes. Before the conversation could take a turn she didn't want, Anika stood up. “Good night. Or  good morning. Whatever.” She kissed them both on their foreheads before skipping steps to her room upstairs.

---

When Anika woke up, it was way past noon. By the time she got dressed and came downstairs, Radhika and Harsh were on the dining table already.