chapter l

chapter l. One Countertop Lapse in Stupidity

As Shivaay left the room, Anika picked up her phone again. She couldn't believe the picture Saumya had just sent. Did that mean Shivaay and she had spent the entire night cuddling?

Her cheeks pink, she looked at the picture fondly. Stupid man was really not going easy on her heart.

Shivaay moved to the kitchen, a weight suddenly lifted off of his chest.

Gauri was going through the cabinets, a notepad in hand. Om was sitting on the couch, going through his phone.

Shivaay sat down next to Om, smiling at him. Om smiled back. “Everything good?”

“Yeah.” Shivaay nodded. “Great, I guess.

Gauri went to Anika's room and came back huffing to herself. “Let's get going before Anika Di orders the entire snacks aisle.”

Shivaay and Om chuckled.

“Bhaiya, you're sure you want to cook for all of us? We could order and we could just make something healthy for Anika.”

“Oh, I am not ready to witness Anika fighting about that.” Shivaay said.

Gauri grinned and walked out of the door, followed by Om. As they shut the door, Shivaay moved to the kitchen. He grabbed a glass of water, and jumped on the counter.

When Anika came, she smiled at him. “Shall we begin?”

As she stood by him, Shivaay looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “You really think learning to use the crutch means you can stand throughout?”

“So what do you want me to do?” Anika looked around. “Wait, I could get the barstoo—” She had only taken a step when Shivaay's hands were on her waist. Anika looked at him in shock but he simply shrugged. He easily lifted her and made her sit on the counter.

For a second there, he just stood, looking at her before he moved away, clearing his throat. “So, I decided on Italian dinner. Pasta and garlic breadsticks and I am going to just, make soup for you.”

Anika grinned. “Thank you!”

Shivaay shook his head, focus shifting to the tomatoes. “Right, where's the pasta?”

---

As Shivaay opened the pressure cooker with the pasta, he laid it on the other side of the stove, the one where Anika wasn't sitting. The garlic bread was being baked in the oven.

Anika was paying attention to whatever he was saying but her phone was also in her hand, which meant constant distraction.

As Shivaay narrated his personal experience in making pasta sauce, he saw Anika humming disinterestedly. Shivaay frowned, snapping his fingers in front of him.

Anika looked up, startled.

“You're supposed to be paying attention to me.”

“Aww, are you feeling neglected?” Anika fluttered her eyes.

Shivaay rolled his eyes. “I am trying to teach you.”

“But yes, I'd like to have all your attention.” Shivaay added as an afterthought.

Anika narrowed her eyes, even as her heart beat fastened a little. Shivaay once again made a move for her phone but Anika was faster this time, she held it out of his reach.

“Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Dono ho gaya ab, you are not getting another chance.” Anika laughed.

“I am doing it for your own good.” Shivaay's hands were on either side of her. He made no move to step back.