chapter liii

chapter liii. The (Incredibly Inappropriate) Hunger Games

After spending half an hour driving her to a baking store all cross the city, Shivaay came back with actual baking soda while Anika sat in the car, performing all breathing exercises she could think of. When they finally reached her parking lot, Anika turned to Shivaay.

“Could you be honest with me?” she asked.

Shivaay smiled at her. “Of course.”

“Did you bring me to third wheel with Mallika just so I could... I don't know get a hint and understand that what happened the other day was a mistake?”

Shivaay stared at her wide-eyed. “No! Why would you—”

Shivaay's phone rang. Rudra. Shivaay muted the call and turned to Anika. “No Anika. No part of that sentence is true. I—”

His phone rang again. Bade Papa. Shivaay furrowed his brows. “I am sorry, I never not pick up Bade Papa's calls. I'll just...”

Anika sighed. “I am going upstairs. You can come and talk to me if you want to, otherwise just forget it.”

Shivaay looked on, annoyed, as she opened the door and stepped out. It was then that he realised he couldn't let her go home. Not yet.

“Hello Bade Papa,” Shivaay spoke into the phone quickly getting out and following Anika.

“Bhaiya, it's me.”

Of course.

“Rudra, you better not be wasting my time about the baking soda again or I swear to God, I will forget that you are my brother.”

“O? You said something?” Rudra whispered softly making Shivaay grit his teeth. “Whatever, you just make sure Anika Di isn't here for the next ten minutes. Choti Maa and Chote Papa are having a plating argument.”

Shivaay groaned staring at Anika who was waiting for the elevator. He rushed towards her, coming to stand in front of her.

Anika frowned. “What?”

“Well... I was wondering if you'd like to,” at this point, Shivaay really tried hard to just come up with anything to prevent Anika from climbing onto the elevator. His first thought was to continue the sentence with something along the lines of, kiss me again, have a nice make out session in this very creepy parking lot of yours, well you get the idea. Except, he was not really sure how she'd react.

The rational, sane part of his brain said, it's just plating, they wouldn't be that mad at him. Then again, it was his mother. She could very well get mad at him for no reason at all. Then there was Anika's entire misunderstanding.

“Shivaay, shut up and move out of my way.” Anika smiled widely and that scared Shivaay. More than a little.

Shivaay stared at her. “Are you okay?”

This time, when Anika started laughing, Shivaay was truly scared. She did look a little unhinged. Oh no, what had he done to her?

Anika pushed him in the elevator and pressed the button, turning her back towards him. Shivaay closed his eyes. You couldn't completely blame him for his brain not working when around her. She was way too gorgeous for his own good.

“You're looking pretty.” Shivaay mumbled.

“Stupid.” Anika answered.

“What?”

“I said, I am looking pretty stupid.” Anika answered after a long silence.

The elevator chimed as they arrived on the floor, Anika's apartment door right across the little hall.