chapter lx

chapter lx. A Not-So Dry Welcome

Shivaay and Anika were in his car, the radio playing Sawaar Loon. True to her word, Anika was ready by 8am to go meet her parents. Shivaay, who had been sure she'd take at least till nine, had to hurry.

“Why isn't Khannaji coming with us?” Anika asked. “Isn't he your bodyguard or something?”

Shivaay turned to her for a second. “You think I'll be needing a bodyguard. Are you so sure your father is going to kill me?”

Anika laughed. “No, I was wondering, how do you decide if he's coming with you.”

“I'll explain it in detail someday.”

About fifteen minutes after nine, Shivaay and Anika were out of Mumbai when Shivaay's phone rang. He clicked the button on the wheel, Rudra flashing on the screen of the car.

“Bhaiya?” Rudra's voice surrounded them.

“Yes, Rudra?”

“Are you with Anika Di?”

“I am. You helped everyone force me to go with her, remember?”

Anika smiled too when she saw Shivaay's victorious smile.

“Hey Anika Di!” Rudra ignored Shivaay.

“Hi Rudra.”

“I expected more from you.” Rudra commented, making the two of them frown.

“Expected more of what?”

“Honesty.”

Anika looked at Shivaay. He shrugged.

“I have no idea what you're talking about.”

“I know you and Bhaiya are dating!” Rudra whispered making Shivaay look at Anika in shock.

I did not tell him. He mouthed.

“Rudra, what are you talking about?” Shivaay asked, clearing his throat.

Chalo, chalo. You are no better than O and Gauri Di.”

Shivaay furrowed his brows. “O and Gauri?” He was pretty sure he never told Rudra he knew about them.

Waise a genius never shares his tricks but before the two of you kill each other in a game of who told Rudra, I'll explain. Last night, something about the two of you was very different. When Saumya had told me that the two of you decided not to date, I was so upset. I mean, for the first time in forever, Shivaay Bhaiya liked someone AND that person liked him back. It was like once in a Blue Moon situation. Why would Shivaay Bhaiya be so dumb to let it go? Then, yesterday, I saw the aankhon hi aankhon mai baatein the two of you were upto. Therefore, I concluded, you two were lying. Just like O and Gauri Di.”

“What do you mean by Om and Gauri, Rudra?” Shivaay asked, yet again. Something did not fit right.

“Oh well, you don't have to pretend like you don't know. Before I could call you with such accusations, I had to be sure. You took one of your laptops with you, ek mere paas hai na yaha. Lucky for me, your Whatsapp was logged in. I checked your texts with Anika Di.” Rudra sounded proud but Shivaay and Anika only looked at each other wide-eyed.

“You read our texts?” Anika asked while Shivaay took his phone and quickly logged out of all possible devices, eyes darting between his phone and the road.

“Rudra, why would you do that?” Shivaay looked flustered. Anika would have probably enjoyed it if she wasn't feeling embarassed herself.

“I needed confirmation. If anything, all your inappropriate texts helped me. Don't worry, I will try everything I can to erase them from my memory.” Rudra's voice sounded low but excited. “So, I know you know about O and his rendezvous, I know that you and Anika Di planned last night and I fell for it. I know you are very cheesy and I know Anika Di has the best pick-up lines.”