chapter xxxi

chapter xxxi. A Night To Remember

The large Oberoi living room was empty now, except for the caterers and some of Anika's working crew cleaning up. The elders had retired some time ago, although they did argue that Anika should sleep as well. She didn't exactly know where Om and Gauri were but she was now pretty good at knowing when not to look for them. Rudra had only just wished Anika goodnight. With a tired sigh, she settled on the staircase, looking around as most of the decorations were torn down.

She heard footsteps and soon enough, Shivaay was standing in front of her with a raised brow. “Not sleepy?”

Anika rolled her eyes. “I need to make sure they clear it up.”

“You could've done that in the morning.”

Anika ignored him and chose to notice that he had a hand behind his back.

“What are you hiding?”

“I told you, I have something for you.”

“Did you buy me a gift?”

Shivaay smiled. “You really shouldn't dream so much. I didn't buy anything, I think you deserve this.” Shivaay revealed what he had been hiding behind his back. A very expensive looking bottle of wine.

Anika laughed, despite feeling drained of energy.

“You know I am not taking it, right?”

“Oh, I know.” Shivaay shrugged. “We could have it now. Together?”

Anika looked around. “It'll take me at least another hour to get this cleared up. You should sleep. Hold your offer, maybe I'll take you up on it someday.”

“Is it necessary to get this done today?” Shivaay frowned.

“How the hell is it that Shivaay Singh Oberoi wants to delay work to the next day?” Anika asked curiously.

Shivaay pocketed his free hand. “I can get Khanna to overlook the packing?”

“Wow, you really want me to have a drink with you.” Anika said, feeling butterflies rampage in her stomach. Before Shivaay could answer, Anika was called by a worker over something.

Shivaay sat down on the staircase, playing with the bottle.

Anika came back with a tired smile. “You know you don't have to, right? I was mostly kidding when I said I want a drink. I need sleep way more.”

Shivaay chuckled. “Well, this is more like a thank you gift. You've been bearing with my family's theatrics. All of this work was dumped on you and you've even refused payment.”

“So you're paying me with wine?”

“First of, this is not just any wine. Second, I am offering you drinks with a friend?”

Anika made a dramatic shocked face, making Shivaay roll his eyes. He knew what was coming.

“Since when am I your friend?”

“You will be once you stop annoying me.”

“Never happening.” Anika said with a soft smile.

---

As Anika wrapped up the work, Shivaay sat, busy with his phone. When she finally saw the last of people leave, she walked to Shivaay with two glasses, snapping her fingers in front of his face.

“Wait, weren't you sitting by the bar all night? How drunk are you? Is that the reason you want to have a drink with me?”

Shivaay stared at her blankly. “No, I only had one drink all night. I am very careful with my drinks.” Shivaay stood and started walking to his room. “Why do you have so much difficulty accepting that maybe I just want to have a drink with you with no hidden meaning to it?”