chapter xliii

chapter xliii. Of Third Angles

Anika was most definitely devastated. This seemed like payback for everytime she had rejected guys telling her they had a crush on her simply because she thought relationships were pointless.
She wasn't exactly sure what she had been expecting from Shivaay because... Well because he was him.

It was just supposed to be a crush. Damn Saumya for putting ideas in her head. Anika had spent the entire week coming up with too many scenarios of how it could go, none of which included being rejected even before she could say anything.

Thursday afternoon, as the workers wrapped up the last of crates, Anika, Shruti and Rohit say on plastic chairs they had picked off the stack. The sun overhead was relentless and they were all a mess. Rohit had a new girlfriend and after apologising a million times for how he had behaved in the past, they were talking again. He had been a good friend before that fiasco, afterall.

Saumya came to them looking famished. “When I agreed to this internship, I didn't think you'd be torturing me like this.”

Shruti chuckled and handed Saumya the water bottle. “You did a good job today kid. I have no idea why Anika is being hard on you.”

Of course, Saumya knew. She felt terribly guilty but also upset. What the hell had Shivaay Bhaiya been thinking?

Anika shook her head. Her phone rang and she picked it up without even looking at the caller id.

“Hey Anika?” Varun's voice came through a second later. “If you are free right now, we could grab lunch?”

Anika looked at her wrist watch. “I am actually at work and like, on the other side of the city. By the time I reach home and get ready, it will be way past lunch time.”

“Wait, where are you exactly?”

As Anika narrated current location, her friends looked at her curiously.

“I can come pick you up from there directly. It's like a fifteen minute drive from where I currently am.”

Anika looked around apprehensively. Well, might as well...

“Let me warn you, I am a mess right now.” Looks and emotions wise.

Varun chuckled. “I am sure it won't be that bad.”

Anika smiled. As she cut the call, Shruti grabbed the phone, looking at it curiously. “Wait, this is the guy your Mom was setting you up with! Shaadi-vaadi pakki karli kya?”

Anika scrunched her nose. “Nahi yaar. We've been going for lunches every once in a while.”

“Do you like him?” Rohit looked on curiously.

Anika shot a look at Saumya before shrugging. “He's nice, handsome.”

Shruti rolled her eyes. “Is there chemistry? The certain way you feel around him.”

Anika would have screamed if not for her surroundings when the first thought she had was Shivaay. Dumb man wouldn't leave her alone.

“I guess?” Anika pouted. “I mean, I don't know.”

“Come on Anika, you work in this business. You should know how important the chemistry is. Imagine the wedding ceremonies if there is none?”

“There are things more important than that Shru. The marriage is more important than the ceremonies.” It was Rohit who said that. “And even those need a certain chemistry. Like I have with–”

“Nia.” All three girls chimed in.

“We are aware.” Shruti rolled her eyes.

“Come on Anika, let's make you look a little better and then we are coming along to meet your prospective forever.”