chapter iv

chapter iv. The Ruse

Anika's plan seemed flawless to her. For ten exact seconds. It had been simple, if she 'became' his girlfriend, she'll get a pass to stay around him while also get him married to the first person who isn't scared of him.

She then realised, it was not so simple. The whole family had bewildered looks on their faces, funniest of which belonged to Shivaay Singh Oberoi himself. Of course, Anika had automatically questioned his taste in women. And her taste in men.

Anika flinched. Public humiliation, it was. Why will he ever agree that she was his girlfriend? Stupid, stupid move Anika. Should've given it at least one more thought.

Turns out, Shivaay Singh Oberoi had no say anymore.

"Oh my Maata!" The same plump woman, who caused this raita to spread, screamed.

Anybody could've guessed from this overdramatic reaction. It was his mother. Anika smiled widely. Put up the ruse while you can.

"Shivaay ki girlfriend?!"

Cue, incessant blinking with a smile stuck on your face.

One good thing though, all eyes were now on Shivaay who was still processing what had just happened.

"Bhaiya?!" Rudra was by his side, looking at him with accusation.

"Shivaay, you should have told us you have a girlfriend. What's her name?"

Anika looked at the woman who spoke. She was intimidating yet warm. No doubt, she was Omkara's mother and Gauri's hone-wali saas. This reminded Anika. Where were they?

She turned to look around and realised everyone was looking at Shivaay expectantly, who in turn was looking at Anika blankly. Of course, he didn't know her name.

"Aunty, why will Shivaay introduce me. I'll introduce myself. My name is Anika."

"Jethaniji, I like her already. She is so sweet." she clapped her hands excitedly.

Too soon aunty, too soon. Anika thought.

She looked at Shivaay who was still looking at her in shock. Come on, react now. Get over with throwing me out of the house for false claims.

That seemed to clear Shivaay's daze.

Woah, did he read my expressions or did I speak it out loud.

"Anika, sweetheart, let me drop you home." Shivaay smiled, making Anika shudder. He looked seconds away from murdering her.

"Shivaay, what is the hurry? Now that the cat is out of the bag, let us talk to her. We also want to know what made Shivaay Singh Oberoi, like her." Something about the way the older man said his name made Anika chuckle. She smiled at him. They were all such cool people with this one black sheep in their family.

"Bade Papa, Anika was just leaving. She has some very important work at her office. You can all meet her some other day." Shivaay smiled at everyone. Not waiting for anybody to give him the permission, he tightly grabbed Anika's elbow and almost dragged her out of the house. They were about to exit when she heard his Mom say, "Look at my baccha. He's so sly. Called his girlfriend home while we were all away. How romantic!"

Anika cringed. Romancing him?

---

When they were out of sight of the whole family, Anika struggled to get her arm out of his grip. Shivaay left it easily and turned to look at her. Anika stood still, staring at her feet.