chapter ix

ix. One Happy Dinner

As he parked the car in the garage, he looked at Anika apprehensively. "You sure you can do it?"

"Do I have a choice?" Anika shrugged.

"Let's get done with it then, shall we?"

Anika nodded and got down the car, followed by Shivaay. He began walking quickly and stood at the gate. As Anika walked slowly, Shivaay looked at her. She was wearing a burgundy halter neck accompanied by a long white skirt with flower patterns. A strip of skin visible at her waist and hair left open.

When Anika saw him staring, she raised an eyebrow. "Am I too over-dressed for this?"

"There is no such thing as over-dressing when it comes to meeting my family." Shivaay grinned.

Anika sighed and let him walk her to the door.

When they were at the door, Anika saw the Oberois all lounging on the sofas. She could see why Shivaay told her there could never be over-dressing.

"Guys?" Shivaay called out and all eyes turned to them, making Anika conscious. She took a deep breath. You can do it!

---

Anika laughed as Pinky told her of another time from before Shivaay was born and Shivaay looked at the two of them incredulously. They had gelled well would be an understatement. Since they had arrived, his mother had whisked Anika away, beginning to ask her of all things. Anika had told her about how she and Shivaay had met.

The family had heard attentively and Shivaay, sitting right in front of Anika could only look on as she told them things so smoothly, as if recalling them from actual incidence.

It was when a chef arrived and told them they would be serving that they all got up, heading towards the dining table. Shivaay followed them all, Om slowing his steps to catch up with Shivaay.

"Damn, Anika acts so well." Om whispered and Shivaay nodded. "Even I am convinced she is your girlfriend. I am beginning to think dramatics lie in the family."

"Huh?" Shivaay looked at him curiously.

"Gauri is just the same." Om smiled and Shivaay didn't fail to notice the fondness in his eyes. Raising an eyebrow, Shivaay wounded an arm around Om's shoulder.

"I am sure it lies in the family."

As they took their seats on the table, Anika sitting between Pinky and Janhavi with Shivaay right in front of her, she smiled nervously at Shivaay. He couldn't help but blinks his eyes assurance. How was she even nervous after playing the girlfriend part so well? He knew he would be bad and was glad his family wasn't asking him anything at all. For the first time, he was relieved from the lack of attention.

"Anika Didi?" Rudra chirped from beside Om. Heads turned in his direction and he grinned mischievously. "How did Shivaay Bhaiya propose to you?"

Anika looked at Shivaau for a few seconds before looking at her lap. Shivaya mentally rolled his eyes at the drama.

"Well," Anika began and Shivaay was sure his family was at the edge of their seats. "Shivaay didn't propose to me." Anika answered and everyone looked at her in shock. Hadn't they decided on some cliché proposal (that Shivaay didn't even remember anymore)?

"Oh my Maata! How are you two datings if he didn't propose to you?"

It had taken some time but Anika got used to Pinky's adorable habit of adding an 's' to anything and everything.