HIATUS NOTES

hey... didja miss me?

for this round of hiatus notes, i thought i'd try something a little different! this time, we're doing a good old fashioned q&a/faq! whoo!

i'll be taking questions and comments i've received throughout the duration of this fic and compiling them here, finally with concrete answers! and if there's anything specific you want to know, feel free to leave it in the comments and i'll do my best to answer, either in a reply or as an addition to this chapter.

without further ado, let the games begin!

trigger warning for mentions of things that have already received trigger warnings in the past, such as suicide and other dark themes.

—&—

—&—

q: why does everyone hate noel? including the sheriff?

a: honestly i'm kinda shocked how many times i saw this comment, especially in episodes 1x04 and 1x05! that's probably why i'm answering it first, it totally caught me off guard.
noel is an outcast. he always has been. the sheriff and just about everyone else in town has heard his story, of his dad's battle with illness and his mother's suicide, his life living with the whittemores, the life he's lived so far overall, they're all aware. and sometimes it's just typical for people to kick someone while they're down.
and that's not to say noel deserves it, of course. he doesn't, but honestly it's just something that's followed him since childhood. he was always the kid that was bullied, and he used to have jackson to protect him from that, but as they grow up the protection stops but the bullying continues. it spreads so far that even parents know about it, and maybe they listen a little too closely when their kids say mean made up things about another kid. and even with that explanation, sometimes people are just mean. sometimes people just follow the crowd and do as others do. not everyone is mean to noel, because not everyone knows the status quo around beacon hills (for example, allison).
a less satisfying answer is simply this- it's a teen drama, and teen dramas need conflict. is there any real reason an innocent character gets ceaselessly picked on in media besides for the drama of it all? sorry that's an unsatisfying answer, but that's just part of how it is!