Chapter 22

Red Wine.

Something I don't drink. Something I thought was bad for you. I never knew anyone who drank wine or alcohol.

Then I drove my dad to Walmart. We were going to get chicken stock for the corn beef brisket. The first aisle we go to is in the very back where all the wine and alcohol was. He grabbed a bottle of fermented grape wine. I looked at him like he was joking. 

He jokes a lot so I thought he was joking. Then we walked to get the chicken stock. He still carried the glass bottle with him. I asked him why he has it?

He said for consumption. 

Then every time I asked him he would dodge the question. Then we went to check out and he bought the bottle of wine.

I couldn't believe it. I just witnessed my dad buying wine. Something he has never done before. 

I was mad, confused, and I didn't understand why he bought it.

On the way home he would keep using the excuse that Jesus drank it and he wanted to be Jesus. I told him he can't be Jesus. No one could ever be Jesus.

Then we got home. I parked in the garage cause I was driving. I got out taking one of the bags with me, we had 3 bags. He opened my fridge door and shut it. I found this suspicious. 

   ' He opened it and shut it. He must have something in it. '

We walked inside and I set the bag down. I walked outside and saw another bottle of wine. He bought 2 bottles of wine. 

Now I know what you all are thinking about.

   " Wine isn't bad. If you drink enough you can get drunk, but it's not bad. "

That's not the point.

Take it from my P.O.V. for a minute.

Your whole life you were told not to smoke and/or drink wine or whiskey and stuff like that. You were told that by your father. Then he disobeys his own rule in front of his daughter. 

So this was something new to me. I was furious, but I remained calm. 

I brought the bottle in to him and he said he would show me how to open one. He did. He pulled out a corkscrew and pulled the cork out. He poured a cup and started drinking it.

I stood there and watched. What was I supposed to do?

He tried to get me to put the bottles back in my fridge. I told him I wouldn't help him. He tried and tried but I didn't help him. I went to my desk where my Valentines Day stuff was and pulled out some thin chocolate caramel hearts. I ate at least three to help calm myself down. I didn't know what to do. 

He kept telling me to not tell anyone and I said no. I said I'm going to tell mom. 

He took a serious tone with me and said don't tell your mother. I asked him why and he would respond with the same thing. 

   " Just don't tell your mother. "

I asked him why he even had two bottles. He said it was for his heart. 

Of course I didn't believe him. Not until I looked it up. The Mayo Clinic states,

   " The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent coronary artery disease, the condition that leads to heart attacks. "

Word for word.

I didn't know what to think. After all this time of telling me not to do it there he was doing it.

Of course he smoked cigarettes as well, but he quit and it took 5 years  until his lungs went back to being healthy. I didn't want him to have a drinking problem. He hurt his life with smoking and I didn't want him to be addicted to red wine. Sure it'll help him, but at some point he can stop and take a break and drink water or something.

I don't want him to become addicted. I don't want him to drink at all.

But what can I do?

I'm just a 16 year old girl. No one listens to me until a while later when they find the answer which is what I said.

I didn't know what to do. I asked him why he didn't tell Trey and he said,

   " Cause if he finds out he's going to do it. He doesn't need to be doing it. "

   " Why did you tell me then? "

   " Cause I know you're smarter than him and you won't do it. "

I was smarter than him and I wouldn't do it. Great. What a great alibi.