Chapter 3

As it neared the end of the year I was happy that it was summer. What child wouldn't be? It was the end of the year in second grade. I was excited! I wouldn't see Sebastian ( That guy who wanted to date me to impress his friends from the last chapter. ) or that group of girls anymore. We were watching a video in my class. I was sitting in the back talking with a ' friend ' of mine. Her name was Mia. My teacher was very strict, but she was nice. She had my brother as well, so she expected more from me.

Mia wasn't a great influence on me, but I didn't know it at the time. We were playing truth or dare and then she dared me to do something.

   " I dare you to steal some of her candy. "

See she had my favorite type of candy. Butterscotch. I said no, cause I didn't want to steal from her.

   " I do it all the time. It'll be fine. "

Then I did it. I stole one piece of candy. Remember I was a kid. Candy was like gold to me. We only got it when we were good. So I took one. I didn't eat it, but I put it in my pocket. I was nervous. I never stole anything in my life, and I felt so bad that I wanted to put it back. 

Mia walked up to the teacher and told on me. The teacher called me to her desk and asked me,

   " Laura, "

   " Yes, ma'me? "

   " Did you steal candy from that bowl. "

   " Yes ma'me I stole one piece. "

   " Why did you steal it? "

   " I..."

I didn't know if I should tell her or not. I wanted to be a good friend, but I disrespected the teacher. She needed to know the truth.

   " Mia dared me to, she said she did it all the time. "

I put the candy on her desk.

   " I'm sorry. "

   " I'll let you off on a warning Laura. Thank you for being honest with me and returning it. "

I only nodded and walked back to my seat. I didn't say anything for the rest of the day. When the bell rang I walked to my mom's car and I never told her. I knew she would get mad at me, and I didn't want her to hate and be mad at me.

I now know my mother will love me no matter what, but in 2nd grade, I didn't know that. I thought she would hate me.

I never told her or anyone.

That same year I repeated the 2nd grade, cause my mom thought my math grade was low. I was assigned to a different teacher and a new class. I didn't know if my old friends forgot about me or if they were still my friends.

When you leave the 2nd grade you move to an entirely new building that contains the 3rd - 5th. So they were in a different building than me and I didn't get to see them as much. I was talkative in the 2nd grade. I stayed quiet. The class was easy since I had to repeat the grade. I didn't have aftercare anymore, cause my mom graduated and became a substitute teacher until she got a full-time teaching job. I was smarter than a lot of my classmates because I repeated the grade.

Even today there is still a rumor going around that I'm the smartest person out of our Sophmore class. I don't know how that started or who started it.

I still felt alone, because this was an entirely new class with new people. I stayed quiet in class and paid attention to the teacher not thinking about anything else but my studies.

What I didn't expect was life giving me a break and sending someone to help me come out of my shell.