Coming home

*Soleil*
"Sol". My mom calls across the terminal as she runs towards me.

The others had driven me to Heathrow airport less than ten minutes ago and I had just made a short stop in the coffeeshop before spotting my mom. Now I walk out, trying to put on the appropriate expression. The face slides into an involuntary smile as I get close to my mom. Is she going to look right through me and know Ghana is a lie ? My stomach starts knotting up with fear of being discovered. In my head I go through the lines I have practised, just to be sure; they have to be believable. Siri has told me that Ghana is reality for my mom and if I stick to the story she will never know differently.

"Oh I missed you so much sweetie". My mom say, hugging me tightly in her arms.

All doubt disappear when I hug my mom back. I really have missed my mom. No matter what I have to do to keep my new life a secret, I know my mom will always be here. Why did I even doubt that ? It is my mom.

"I missed you too". And I know the smile on my face is real and genuine.

My mom holds my out from her, looking me over. "Hmm I had expected you to be more tanned".

"Unfortunately there wasn't much time for sunbathing". I explain. "We were inside the clinic all day long, mostly we didn't get of before after the sun had set. No sun there".

"Oh my poor baby. You look totally exhausted. Have you lost weight ?" She looks closer at me. "Oh my goodness. You have got some muscles on you too huh ?

"Yeah it was kind of hard". I put on the fake smile again. "Sacks of rice and hospital equipment is kind of heavy".

"Listen what about a nice bath and a little nap ? I have taken the whole day of so I can really spoil you". My mom say with a smile.

"You didn't have to mom".

"Yes I did. While you have been away I have had to get used to the idea that you will leave home soon for good. And you have the house to yourself all day tomorrow because I have to until late". She gives me one more hug, kissing my hair.

"Mom ?"

"Yes sweetie". She smiles warmly at me.

I hesitate. What can I say ? Has some dark and dangerous creature been by while I was away ? "Nothing. I just missed you.. a lot".

"I missed you too. I am so happy to have you home again". She puts an arm around my shoulder. "Come lets get home".

When we get home I stop for a moment, staring at the house. It has only been about a month since I left, but standing here it feels more like a year.

"Tjalfe are you here ?" I whisper, holding my necklace. I feel it grow warm and a soft wind gently push me on the back as an answer. "Okay, here goes nothing". I mumble, walking to the door.

My room looks like itself; everything is where I left them. It somehow makes me safe to know that nothing here has changed, but I also fear if it is going to stay that way when I am no longer the same girl. Can I go back to being the Soleil who lives here ?

I lay down on top of my duvet and closes my eyes. The bed is just as soft and comfortable as I remember. I breath in the well known scent and sigh contently. It is going to be alright. As they other had said, I will used to having two lives.

A  message plings in on my phone.

'Are you home or what ? I am dying here sweetie'

'Yup laying here on my bed, trying to get my head back with me. Do you want to come by later ?' I quickly write back.

I get up and look in the mirror, my eyebrows has grown all back and my skin needs some cleaning after a long time without any care. I get a new message.