Chapter Five. .

CARMEN RICHARDSON

          16th of August

          16th of August. . Two weeks I've been in this new state. A few days of staying with Memaw, I was still unemployed. One thing I hate is living under someone else's roof and not financially contributing to the household. Even though Memaw and Mercedes told me it was okay, I still had to find one. But I didn't know where to start in the new state. With the help of Giovanni, she mentioned to me her high school, Lyrewood High School, was in need of a head principal. I have the experience.

So, here I was, sitting in front of the assistant principal for the interview, only two days before school officially starts. Dressed myself in a black pantsuit and pointy toe white heels. My hair I pulled back into a ponytail. Light on the accessories; stud earrings and a bracelet on my right wrist.

Question flowing through my mind is why the assistant principal, Sarei Bradford, was interviewing me but not the head of the school district. Usually, that's how interviews are supposed to go.

She moved around the office, searching for paperwork; look like she didn't know what she was doing. All the files were covering the desk and not organized in file cabinets. Cardboard boxes were everywhere. The red, long sleeve blouse tucked into the pencil skirt, brought out her bronze skin complexion. A honey blonde short hairdo, framing her heart shape face.

She must've turned around to fast since one of the files came sliding towards me. I caught it before it could hit the floor. Immediately, she start apologizing, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry."

"No, no, you're fine," I handed her the manila folder, "Are you okay? Do you, um, usually do the interviews?"

"I have been all week, but never this nervous." She admitted, "Everyone I've interviewed declined the job as soon as they even saw it's an urban school. So, I'm nervous today because we need a head principal. I could do it but I only assist the head principal. School starts in two days, and... and we don't have what we need–"

"Sweetie," I stopped her from rambling, "Take a breather."

She followed my command. "Now, just calm down. If you need a head principal that bad, I can take the job. It's not a problem."

Sarei sighed in relief, "oh my God, thank you. I mean, you were hired from looking at your background and work history anyways. But by law, a interview was necessary and everything."

"It's not issue. . I'm in need of a job. You're in need of a principal."

"Right. ."

"I do have a question... Why are you doing interviews? I mean, it's not your job."

"Yeah, well, the man the owns this district never come to this side of town. . Like never. The school is to urban for him, I'm guessing."

"Maybe. ."