Chapter One. .

CARMEN RICHARDSON

         I needed a fresh start somewhere new

         I needed a fresh start somewhere new. Somewhere away from Dallas. Somewhere I've never been before nor imagined ever going. Oklahoma City.

After months of research, I discovered a cousin of mine, from my father's side, that lived there. We communicated via Facebook almost every day, getting to know each other. I found out more about her, and she found out more about me.

I ride on this Greyhound bus, staring out of the window and watching the various cars pass us by. I knew when I was out of Texas; the streets, signs, the people, and way of this new city was-different. It all just felt different. A different I'm looking forward to. A hours long bus ride was finally over. I watched as the bus driver pulled into the bus station. People were walking off buses from wherever they traveled from and people were walking onto the other buses to get where they were going.

Bus was parked. People start to stand to, grabbing their belongings to evacuate the bus; some even in a rush. As I understood because sitting on a bus for five hours, including the stops being made between there and here.

A duffle-bag on my shoulder and pushing two luggage cases, I walked through the bus station taken in the different people. A woman yelling about her baby daddy to someone on the phone while her child was running around, another child at the vending machine, people sitting; awaiting their bus to arrive, a Embark worker attempting to wake a homeless man that's asleep in the corner. Not to much I haven't seen back home.

"Carmen!"

At the sound of my name, my head snapped in the direction it was called. First thing I had taken notice to was the car; a gold 2013 Chevy Impala. My eyes found the brown eyes and bright smile of Mercedes, my family. She looked exactly like her pictures on social media. A smooth chocolate complexion, slim and tall five foot seven body, and her natural hair she's been doing for the past four years. She's spoken about it from our previous conversations.

A bright smile, showing her white teeth, Mercedes walked in my direction dressed for this end of the Summer weather; a white lace bodysuit and jean shorts with brown sandals. A makeup-less face, showing her natural glow of melanin. Unlike me, who's wearing a jumper with a pair of jeans and slides. At least I wore appropriate shoes for the weather.

Mercedes instant reaction was pulling me into a hug, rocking us from side to side. I was able to hug her myself. When she found out about me coming down, she mentioned she would be extra and hugging me as tight as she could. As I, Mercedes didn't really grow up with much family. Only family she had was her grandmother, older sister by two years, and teenage niece. She never met her father and her mother passed on when she was younger from a long battle of Cancer. So, when I reached out, you could imagine how happy we both were to have family we never knew about.

"Oh my God," She released me, giving me a once over. I couldn't break the smile from my face. "I cannot believe you're here right now. Like, you actually came. I thought you were bullshittin' for a min."