V2 - Chapter One.

Eight months earlier

              Eight months earlier. My mother's vehicle pulled in front of the Woodward Juvenile Detention Center as I looked out of the passenger window. I had on a cheap sweatsuit and all-white slip on Vans. My curly hair I done simply in a bun with my face makeup free. It was the day of me turning myself in— something the Judge was very serious about. My body felt no emotions; no fear or nervous butterflies. I can handle myself no matter where I go. My only challenge will be following orders from the correctional officers.

"Go in there and don't run your mouth how you always do. Those girls have some of the same cases and aren't afraid of you." My mother voiced from the drivers seat; smoke from her cigarette blowing towards my face.

"Out here ain't no different," I shrugged and opened the passenger door. "Never asked nobody to be afraid of me. I got me."

"Go in there with that attitude will get your ass jumped."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Your point?" my gaze goes to my mother. "You making it like I should go in there shitting bricks. I may run my mouth, but I can back it up. What bout you, Xiomara?"

She shook her head and blew smoke from her mouth. "Get out my car. Don't ask for no money on your books because I don't have money to waste. You decided to do dumb shit with that boy. Now you figure out how you're gonna be in touch with the outside world."

"Ain't like we ever talk anyway," I slammed the car when I stepped out of her vehicle. "Bitch."

I started footing towards the building when I heard, "Wait up, Asia."

Over my shoulder, I saw Aalea getting out the backseat in a oversized hoodie and sweatpants with her hair in a half-up half-down style. When she reached me, I looked at her questionably.

"What? You think I'm letting you do this by yourself?" She questioned when I noticed Xiomara pulling off.

"She's leaving you."

She shrugged. "I have a ride on the way. I know you are this hardcore soul, but I want you to know you got me. You're not gonna do this alone. I can put money on whatever you need."

"All the way from New Jersey?" I chuckled lightly. "You gotta learn how to worry about yourself, Aalea. Go to New Jersey and do you. I'll be fine. I don't need you doing all of that."

"You're my sister, so I am. In a place like this especially when you get into the actual county jail, you will need someone to communicate with to help you push through. I don't want you to lose yourself."

I looked into her sincere eyes. I chuckled, shaking my head. "Only if you knew, I lost myself a long time ago."

Her brows furrowed. She wanted to question my meaning behind that, but I spoke not giving her a chance to. "You want to continue putting everyone ahead of yours," I shrugged, "I can't stop you."