Chapter Twenty Five.

CARMEN RICHARDSON

               Thanksgiving morning

               Thanksgiving morning. Refreshened and out of the shower, I watched out my bedroom in a peach colored cropped short sleeve and black high waisted yoga leggings. My slides padded against the hardwood floor as I footed towards the kitchen. Different scents of food filled the air and Luther Vandross Never Too Much played from the speakers of the stereo that's in the corner of the living room, beside the window. Memaw and Giovanni were in the kitchen, dancing to the song and fixing the final food that needed to be prepared.

               I stood at the entrance of the kitchen, watching the two with a smile before my gaze shifted to the pies and aluminum pans covered with foil on the counters. I noticed it was more than enough food to feed a whole neighborhood. Giovanni laughed and stopped dancing when she noticed me there. She had on a solid short sleeve and sweatpants with her hair in a bun. Memaw remained in only her sleeping clothes as well.

"Good morning, Carmen," she smiled, holding a bowl.

"Good morning ladies," I footed further into the kitchen. "You made enough food to feed the whole neighborhood, Memaw." I kissed her cheek.

"Because the Johnson family volunteers down at the Salvation Army every Thanksgiving."

"Really?" I nodded impressed, "I would love you help with the volunteering and anything else you need."

"Just take the dressing and ham out of the oven for me. Wrap them in foil."

"Yes ma'am," I followed her command, using oven-mitts when the front door opened and closed. When I sat the aluminum pan of cornbread dressing on the counter, Mercedes walked into the kitchen still in her satin sleepwear and sacks in her hand.

"Okay, Memaw, I got the cans of cranberry and ingredients to make the gravy." She sat the sacks on the last empty space of the counter.

"We'll make the gravy at the building since I'll be in the kitchen. I need all of this packed in the van. Doors open in hour and a half. We need to get there quickly."

"So, I have to rush and put my face on?" Giovanni frowned, causing us all to laugh.

"Girl, you don't even need makeup." Memaw playfully swatted her with cloth in her hand.

               We packed food back and forth to her red Chrysler Dodge Caravan and divided what was left over between my and Mercedes cars. Memaw then gave us strict orders to get dressed quickly to be there before the families arrived. I chose to dress in a green fitted sleeveless turtleneck tucked in the denim high-rise, cuffed jeans with black suede booties. Gold stud earrings in my ears. When I reentered the front, everyone was dressed and ready in the foyer.

               We arrived to the Salvation Army building and immediately put to work with the aprons, hair nets, and gloves. A few hours into being here, Mercedes, Giovanni, and I were handing out plates to the families with other Salvation Army workers. I tended to the cornbread dressing and collared greens. A voice greeted loudly, getting all of our attention. After not seeing her for weeks, Courtnee sashayed her way passed the needy families in a rose gold sequin chain choker mini dress and high heels.