V3 - Chapter Twenty.

𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐖𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐒𝐎𝐍

"Last night just before midnight, a woman was hit by a car near Lyrewood neighborhood—" the news reporter on the screen of my flatscreen mounted on the soft gray wall. The mention of my old neighborhood captured my undivided attention, turning up the volume to hear her clearer. . "authorities arrived on the scene to a local woman in her late sixties unconscious. Due to being well known around the neighborhood, the victim was identified as Maya Johnson or who everyone called 'Memaw'. ."

"Oh damn," I spoke quietly with my fist over my mouth.

". . — She was quickly transported to Intergris Medical, where she was later pronounced dead from a severe head injury. The driver of the vehicle suffered from minor injuries..." Grabbing the remote, I muted the Tv and left my bedroom to head downstairs.

Aroma of food greeted me when I entered the kitchen. There I found Carmen sitting at the table and in the high-chair Boogie fed himself the banana peach, Gerber teething wafers. A spread of breakfast settled on the table. Cinnamon rolls, blueberry pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and grits. A savory meal that plan to enjoy and not take for granted.

My eyes pierced in on Carmen and admiring her fresh, morning appearance. Her newly dyed pixie cut hair, brown hue with coppery-gold highlights, accentuated her dainty features and suited her oval-shaped face. She was dripping in the sleeveless, cotton gauze floral print romper. Yellow Gold ball earrings in her ears.

I became aware of the silence, which I found odd. Nashawn was always loud from morning to night and not hearing him jumping around.

"Where the twins? Ashanti?"

"The twins outside with their friends. Ashanti with her friend Lauren." She let me know, her tone as bland as the expression on her face unless she was smiling at Boogie.

Every since she confronted me about Catalina Moreno, she haven't been talking to me and leaving me to alone as a punishment. She'd rather sleep in the recliner in Boogie's bedroom than in a comfortable bed, cuddling with me.

But I'd be lying if said the words she spilled to me that night didn't spark different feelings about the Moreno situation with me. I figured sacrificing myself was enough, but I should've thought harder about the situation and not impulsive do it.

But the Moreno's had one thing coming if they thought I'd willingly give up my daughter for they sick infatuation of watching young girl's lose pieces of them when forced to give their bodies to sick-minded men. One thing I'd never play about is children. I'd die behind mine before I allow anything to happen to them.

"Ashanti nearby?"

"Two houses down."

I nodded my head as the silence thickened between us, aside from Boogie's loud babbling.

"I know we ain't speakin' baby, but it's sumthin' you should know."

"Oh... is there?" She sarcastically chuckled. "Another secret you hiding? What, fucking Catalina now?"

"Na' that ain't it and never will be."

She scoffed softly as she brought the cup to her mouth. "What do I need to know Shawn?"