Chapter Seventeen. .

CARMEN RICHARDSON

10:55AM— the time read on my watch that sits on the inside of my wrist

10:55AM— the time read on my watch that sits on the inside of my wrist. I've been sitting in this waiting area for almost an hour to have a meeting with the director of Lyrewood High, Stanford Woods. I've never saw what he looks like so today would be the first day I'm meeting him. Days were moving closer to when he would be signing off on closing down the high school, and I couldn't allow that to happen. I have only two days to fix the issue before he would be meeting with Carson's director and I would.

My appointment was set for 10am, and I've been in this same place for damn near an hour with his receptionist sitting there as if she don't know how long it's been. I blew out a breath of frustration when it strikes eleven on the dot. I stood from the chair and walked my way over to the front desk. Brown eyes, brunette; she looked at me approaching as if I had no business walking up there anymore.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, you can. I've been sitting there for an hour waiting on him. Is he here or not?"

"He's in a meeting."

"For this long?" I asked not believing that, "He set the appointment for ten o'clock not me. So, I'd appreciate if you do something with your little time and pick up that phone and let him know Carmen Richardson is ready to speak with him. Now." I demanded; she looked at me as if I had no business speaking to her that way.

She stayed quiet and pressed on button on her earpiece. "Mr. Woods, Carmen Richardson is here for her meeting.. No problem, sir— He's ready to see you."

"Thank you," I rolled my eyes as I walked away. I entered his office without knocking and his appearance was what I pretty much expected— white, mid to late sixties. He busied himself with whatever files were on his desk.

"Let's make this quick, Ms. Richardson, my time is valuable." He spoke without even making eye contact with me. His attention focus on the files.

"Great! I'll make this quick," I offered myself a seat. "I think you closing down Lyrewood High is a dumb decision especially just because the schools grade is low. You know how many school around this world may have low grade point averages, but remain open. It's fixable. We have new staff that actually want to take their time out to tutor students and me as a principal. I really want to see these kids make it and—"

"Do you really think I was closing down that high school because of the low grades?"

"I would assume. That's what it said in the news outlets as well as the paperwork sent there."

"I had to tell them something," He finally connected eyes with me. "See, Ms. Richardson, this has nothing to do with those kind of kids grades. I could careless about who passes the end-of-the-semester test, SATs, and so forth. I was closing the school down because that's what needed to happen. Those kids aren't going anywhere in life. Last year, their were only ten graduating students. The rest dropped out, in jail, or dead— which I can careless about as well. That school was falling on its on and soon enough wouldn't be any students left because they're killing each other anyway. They don't care. So why should I? They're nothing but druggies and gangbangers."