Chapter Thirty Six.

MARSHAY HAYES

               Sunday evening

Sunday evening. Overlapping chatter and acrylic fumes filled the nail salon. My right hand was being tended to by the Korean nail technician, while my left hand was finished. I had on a olive colored ribbed sweater with a mock neckline and black boyfriend jeans. My natural hair taken down from the sew-in and brushed up in a afro puff ponytail. Adour invited me out for some type of bonding between us since she had extra money leftover from paying her part of the housing bills. I only accepted because my nails needed done.

Adour sat in the swivel chair beside me, dressed down in a baby blue K-Swiss graphic joggers set with her hair silk pressed down her back, middle parted.

My phone continuously vibrated on my right leg. I peered down at the iPhone screen flashing with a picture of Cooper and his contact name Coop. Swiping across the screen with my clear matte acrylic thumb nail. FaceTime video connected and the only view I got was of the ceiling and part of his arm.

"Why you got me looking at the ceiling?"

"My bad," shifting was heard on his end before he sat his phone up on the nightstand. He was shirtless and holding his game controller. Antidote by Travis Scott played in the background. "Where you at?"

"Nail salon with my brother girlfriend."

"You coming over here? I ain't saw you in a few days."

"I'll come afterwards."

               Our FaceTime ended. The male technician finished my nails at the same time as Adour's was finished by a woman. Adour got her usual long nails, stiletto shaped with rhinestones. She spent one-hundred and thirty-two dollars alone on only her nails while mine was only twenty-five. When we left the salon, snow still covered the grounds with the sun peaking behind the clouds. We got into her white 2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan, leather interior. She got it for herself a few weeks ago.

Easy remix with DaniLeigh and Chris Brown, plays around the car as she drove.

"You hungry?" I nodded, "Five Guys down the street."

"Five Guys cool."

"I'm glad we're doing this with just us, you know? I only have sons and your brother. I like doing girly things with someone else." She glanced at me with a small smile.

"Yeah... it's fun."

"So, you think about colleges?"

"Applied at my top two already."

"Ooh," the music lowered, "Which ones are your top picks?"

I snickered lowly at how cheery she became. "Well, Florida A&M is one. Fayetteville State is second."

"Wow, you're going East foreal. You're not planning on staying closer? Texas Southern, maybe?"

"Thought about it. Never sent the application. I want to be far away from Lyrewood as I can."