V3 - Chapter Two.

𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐎 "𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐅𝐈𝐓" 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐋𝐒

               Sea of people crowded the shopping mall as I paced along the polished floors in my black-white Dolce and Gabbana Sorrento logo-stripe sock sneakers. I had on a white crewneck tee and Dolce and Gabbana logo jogger pants. Alongside me, my daughter Camila; who turned fifteen years old today, carrying bag from Rue 21, Pink, and American Eagle whilst snacking on a hand-rolled and golden brown pretzel and talking my ears off. .

"Sleepover, I need the decorations to be on point, kay? I'll go to the movies with my friends, watch a hour-and-something long movie and by time you pick us back up, my room should be equipped and ready for us. More movies and popcorn. Ooh, have Larenz bake some coconut cookies how Mommy used to. Oh yeah, and then—"

"I got it Camila." I intervened and chuckled, "I've read yo li'l list since before it was even yo birthday, girl. Once y'all movie ova wit it will be ready and for y'all girls to bother my peace. How many of yo friends comin' again?"

"Nine." She responded, typing vigorously on her iPhone screen. "Wait— never mind, ten. Casey's coming. So when you go get the rest of the stuff grab another roll bed; polkadot and pink. Do not get another color or you'll throw off the entire color concept."

"Aight, bossy-ass guh. Ain't no more invites; fuck them otha guh's."

"Daddy!" She nudged me with her soft laughter.

"I'm playin'," My arm went around her shoulder and kissed her temple. "But not really doe."

She chuckled as my eyes fixated ahead of me. I spotted familiar faces. One to the left had almond brown skin and shoulder-length straight hair in a sleeveless romper. Woman beside her dressed in a white, short sleeve romper with her defined curly afro. Both of their hands held small cups.

"Is that... Giovanni and your ex?"

"Sho' nuff is," I smirked.

Neither one of them noticed us approaching since they were having their own conversation.

"Well, well. . . if it ain't my two favorite ladies."

My voice enthralled both of their attention.

Mercedes nose slightly flared as she looked at me. "Rico..."

Her eyes narrowed, and it reminded me of the first-time I laid eyes on her. .

Winter of 1993 Cold breeze and cloudy sky on the afternoon, young and seventeen, I leaned back against the wooden light pole on the corner of my block with the busted light and my wheat Timberlands on the patchy grass near the concrete sidewalk. I had on a orange puffer coat zipped fully with my hands and dark sweatpants. A beanie on my head pulled down low to cover my ears.

My brother Dmitri, eight and dark brown skin, moved from side to side to keep his adrenaline bumping warmth through his body and blowing his breath into his hands while rubbing them in. My other brother Jacob, nineteen and almond toned, stood some distance away bickering back and forth with his girlfriend near her timeworn Honda Civic and gesturing aggressively with his hands.