Chapter Nine. .

CARMEN RICHARDSON

           School's first day at Lyrewood High, and my first day as principal— Principal Richardson

   School's first day at Lyrewood High, and my first day as principal— Principal Richardson. It's different than seeing the school empty. Now with newly Freshman; fresh out middle school, Sophomores; not being fresh meat anymore, Juniors; one year from being done, and Seniors; a few months away from stepping into adulthood, it had a different feel. All the different personalities in one room.

I know one thing, the website was not lying when they wrote about it being a predominantly black and hispanic school because it's the only faces I've seen.

Dressed in a red layered tie neck blouse, white drape front slacks, and pointy toe heels, I stood in my office that was finally fixed up to my liking. I still had a few photos to hang, but it looked nicer than it was the day of my interview.

I know I wanted to talk to all of the students this morning since they'll all be gathered in the cafeteria during breakfast

I know I wanted to talk to all of the students this morning since they'll all be gathered in the cafeteria during breakfast. It would be easy to introduce myself. My heels created a sound against the buffered floors, towards the cafeteria. Collective chattering filled my ears when I entered the cafeteria. A few children were standing talking to friends, sitting at the tables eating breakfast, standing at the soda and vending machine. A few teachers on duty and security standing around. Sarei and I both managed to hire enough security guards in time.

"Guys, can I have your attention?" Sarei spoke over the microphone; gaining the students attention as their chatting lowered. "Thank you. I just needed you guys attention so our new principal can have a word."

"Thank you, Principal Bradford..." I say, grabbing the microphone. Every students eyes were on me, "Hello everyone. Morning and welcome back for another year. Seniors, this is your last year. Should give yourselves a hand for making it through the rough first years."

Every Senior; male and female cheered, clapping and even dancing.

"I'm not gonna keep you guys to long because I want you to finish breakfast. I'm Carmen Richardson, Principal Richardson, to you guys. Or some, whom I've met, calls me Principal Rich—"