Chapter Twenty Four.

MARSHAY HAYES

               We waved at each other before Aalea walked down the sidewalk

               We waved at each other before Aalea walked down the sidewalk. She's out of my view and I closed the door when I hear laughter coming from the living room. It heated me on the inside since I walked all the way from the high school and someone was woke. Rounding the foyer wall, my mother sat on the round sectional in a mini dress with her bundles in deep waves. The living room was dimmed with only candles and old love songs playing. A man was seated beside her, holding his own glass of wine. They both doesn't notice me.

She can't be on a date when I walked — With the stereo remote, I cut off the music which got their attention. Both their eyes laid on me. "Marshay," she snickered, "When did you get here, honey?"

Honey?

"I want you to meet Richard."

"The preacher you met at the strip club? Great. So, while you're on a date, I was walking all the way from the school. Thanks a fucking lot."

"Excuse me, little girl," she leaned forward, placing her glass on the table. "You better watch your mouth. Do you see my car outside? No. Your brother–"

"I don't care," I cut off her excuse. You have time to be on a date, but not pick up your own daughter. "Proceed with you li'l date and the Strip Club Preacher."

She start apologizing to that clown for my behavior.

              I went on to tend to my aching muscles from practice. A hot bath and soothing Ari Lennox music playing from the Bluetooth speaker. My hair wrapped in a silk scarf, relaxing my head back against pillow. My eyes closed when I heard knocking against the wall. I drowned it out with the music for a second, but loud moans and groans start to follow. Scoffing, I opened my eyes and pulled my arm from the water. I dried my hand with my towel and turned the speaker up to the highest volume.

              Sexual activities of my mother and her 'boyfriend' continued to through the walls, disrupting my relaxation, so once my body was clean, I sauntered back to my room and dressed my body in a oversized vintage T-shirt and cotton house shorts. My hair remained under the silk wrap and I made a mental note to reach out to the woman who does my mother's hair to get it done before Thanksgiving. Relaxing on my bed, I listened to music through my AirPods since they were still fucking like rabbits in the next room.

I wanted to sleep, but my eyes remained open as I scrolled on social media and midnight rolled around. A message from an unsaved, but familiar number popped up on top of my screen. .

(405) 555 0211

You up?

Bye, DeAndre.

Locking my phone, I reached over shutting off the chandelier shade lamp on my nightstand and placed my phone there too. My body relaxed on the bed, eyes closed to finally sleep. It was only a few seconds when I heard knocks on my window. I raised my upper body from the mattress and looked at the window across from my bed. I see the figure shadow through the curtains covering my blinds. I stand from my bed and walk over to the window.