Chapter Eighteen.

KYLAN BURGESS

               Eruption of applauses took over the gymnasium filled with every students and faculty of Lyrewood High since Principal Richardson called an emergency assembly for seventh hour classes

               Eruption of applauses took over the gymnasium filled with every students and faculty of Lyrewood High since Principal Richardson called an emergency assembly for seventh hour classes. She introduced the high school's new school director, Dwight Washington, my God-send attorney and candidate for Mayor of Lyrewood. He stood in his Giorgio Armani suit and dress shoes, grinning and waving at the students.

I leaned on the wall beside the doors, folding my arms over my broad chest. I had on a Lyrewood High crewneck sweatshirt with the sleeve rolled up, showing my tattooed arms and Lyrewood embroidered track pants. Dreads, clean and re-twisted, pulled back in barrel rolls to keep out of my face.

Ringing of the dismissal bell filled my ears, signaling the end of the school day. Simultaneously, students grabbed their belongings and walked off of the bleachers to go home. Principal Richardson and Dwight were approaching me. I leaned off the wall once they reached me.

"This is our head basketball coach, Kylan Burgess." Carmen introduced us, not aware of us knowing each other.

"Yeah. . we, uh, actually know each other," I informed.

Her eyebrows raised and she nodded her head, "that's good. I'll leave you two gentlemen to talk." She walked away.

"I appreciate you takin' our conversation into consideration." I mentioned, offering him a firm handshake.

"Of course," he nodded, releasing my hand. "When you told me about the shutdown, I couldn't and wasn't going to allow this school to be shutdown. It may not be the best school in the State, but it's all some people have. Besides, I graduated from this school. This city wouldn't have been the same if I rode passed here and not seeing this school. Lyrewood High is here to stay."

"Respect. ." I nodded and asked, "but how this gonna work? You doing running things for here while doing the whole Mayor thing?"

"My daughter Violet, whom you've met, will handle the day to day and I can remain focused on my campaign."

"Good, good. You already know you got my vote." I offered him another handshake.

"Thank you," he nodded, "Now, I have to get to the front office to discuss things with Principal Richardson. Keep your head up."

"Always," I nodded and he walked away. Looking around the gym, I noticed DeAndre walking towards with door dressed in a sand colored Polo crewneck sweater with rolled up sleeves, tapered leg jeans, and low top Air Force Ones. He peered down at his iPhone in his hand and carrying his Nike Elite Pro backpack on his shoulders.

"Dre. ." he looked up from his phone at me. I nodded for him to come to me and he ambled over to me. He looked at me with tired eyes. "What's goin' on with you, man? You ain't been the Dre everybody know. You good?"