Chapter Twelve. .

MARSHAY HAYES

          She nodded and motioned for me to take the seat

My binder and lunch tray, I placed on the table first followed by me taking a seat in the red chair. I ate my food as did she in silence. We never exchanged words with each other before but I know we share two classes. Only conversing is the collective chatter around the cafeteria.

"Cheer tryouts. ." I overheard her speak which caused me to put my attention on her. She must've noticed my look of confusion since she motioned at the neon green paper sticking out the side of my binder.

"Oh, a girl just handed it to me on the way to the cafeteria. I don't know why. I refuse to be a cheerleader."

"Why not?" She questioned, biting into her sandwich.

"Cheerleaders ain't nothing but a group of females that think they can be mean to whoever and think they allat," I voiced as a chuckle released, "I rather not be apart of girls like that— Mean Girls."

"So, you think every cheerleader is Mean Girls?" She asked looking at me; I nodded, "Well, I'm a cheerleader. I was nice and let you sit down. Am I a mean girl, too?"

Slightly, my eyes widened. "Oh wow.. I'm sorry. I didn't—"

"It's fine," She cut me off followed by a chuckle, "because you're right... there are a few on the team that are what you described but I'm not. I actually stay to myself. Only reason I got on the team because I needed more extra curricular activities. Cheerleading isn't to bad. You should try it."

"A girl my size?" I chuckled as I shook my head, "Not gonna happen."

"Your size is beautiful," She spoke seriously, "All cheerleaders aren't skinny. You can be any size you want to be. I know that what DeAndre said may have hurt your feelings but don't listen to him. He's such a douchebag and don't know how to appreciate women. I would die to be as curvy as you."

I seen her how sincere her words were which caused me to smile a bit. "Thank you. I appreciate that."

"Of course," She smiled. "It's better to uplift than each other as women."

"Right.." I nodded my head, "I'm Marshay, by the way."

"Aalea," She introduced. "We have a few classes together. AP French and Creative Writing, right?"

I nodded. "Yup. I notice you're really quiet— not very social. I even remember you from elementary and you've always been that way."

"Yeah... I don't have friends or home girls. All I really have is my sister's. I've never been the social type."

"Understandable," I nod my head. "I only have one since middle school but she go to Carson."

"Does she live in Lyrewood, too?"