Chapter Twenty Two.

KYLAN BURGESS

               Veterans Day

               Veterans Day. Monday afternoon; no school, no basketball practice. Since my daughter was with her mother and grandmother, I decided to reach out to Monica. We both sat across from each other in TGI Friday's. I had on a fit camouflage Ralph Lauren button down, ankle zip ripped jeans, and wheat Timberland boots. A gold chain around my neck and watch around my wrist. Dreads remaining in barrel rolls. She had on a denim button-front romper with a leopard print belt matching her leopard leather stilettos. Her hair was straightened, passing her shoulders and heart bamboo earrings.

Our food sat on top of the table that separated us. She ordered a cajun and chicken pasta while I stuck with their signature whiskey glazed burger.

"All right," I wiped my hands on the napkin, "enough of the small talk. Let me get to know some more about Monica. We been in each other's life for bout a month and ion' even know ya last name. That's bad, beautiful."

She nodded, "Price. Monica Price."

"Now we gettin' somewhere, Ms. Monica Price," I leaned my elbows on the table, "tell me more bout you. My ears open."

"Alright. . . You know I was born and raised in Lyrewood. I have only one sister; Lynn Price. She raised me; our parents weren't around. I'm a Sagittarius and I'll be officially stepping into my thirties come two weeks."

"Two years my senior," I chuckled, "aye, that's aight. I ain't think you was passed twenty five if you ask me."

"Why, thank you," she smirked, pushing her hair over her shoulder. "You know what they say, Black Don't Crack."

"Amen to that," I agreed with a nod. "I'm honestly surprised no man ain't knocked yo' fine ass up yet."

She chuckled softly, fiddling with a silver band on her finger. "Yeah. . . That's, uh, because–"

I raised a brow and asked, "You married?"

"Of course not. I wouldn't be here."

"Then what's wit the ring?"

"It's a... band my Grandma gave me before she passed away when I was sixteen. It's a purity ring."

"So. . . that mean you?"

"Still have my virginity at almost thirty years old? Yes."

Suddenly, I choked on nothing.

Grabbing my drink in my palm, I sipped on my sprite to subside my choking. She scoffed and start grabbing her purse.

"I should've known you wouldn't understand."

Quickly, I sat down my cup and gently grabbed her wrist to keep her from walking away.

"Whoa, whoa, come here."

"You think it's funny."

"Sweetheart, I promise you I don't." I assured her, motioning for her to sit back down. She does reluctantly, but sits her purse on her lap.