Chapter Ten. .

KYLAN BURGESS

          Muffled music I heard through the walls as I woke from my sleep

Muffled music I heard through the walls as I woke from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes before looking around noticing I was in my old bedroom over my mother's place. I almost forgot about staying over last night. I brushed my teeth with an extra toothbrush Momma have underneath the sink and washed my face with a clean towel she keeps in the hallway cabinet. I walked passed the bedroom near the bathroom and halted my movement.

Fourteen years is how long it has been since I've opened the door to the room— my brother's old bedroom. 2006 I lost him to the police killing him in front of me and my mother. I wrap my hand around the cold door knob, contemplating on if I wanted to walk in. It's one thing I've never had the heart to do— walk into his bedroom without him there.

Slowly, I unwrapped my hand around the door knob— a completely coward as I've been since his death. I can't do it. So, I walked away. Closer I approached the kitchen, I hear the sound of Bobby Womack's If You Think You're Lonely Now and smell of food. I round into the kitchen; my mother singing along with the track and cleaning.

It's a Saturday afternoon, the first weekend since school started.

Madukes— fifty eight years old, skin the color of bronze. Every since I could remember, her hair was always kept short in a pixie cut. Madukes is my rock. She raised two son's all alone. They say only a Father can raise a man, but she did the best she could. She taught us right from wrong and what not to do. Always told us not to be out in those streets passed the streets lights. She's our rock. Everything a mother could do, she did with no complaints. And for that, I take care of her with no complaints.

"You vibin' this mornin', huh?" I spoke over the music.

She looked over her shoulder at me and smiled. "Look who's finally up..."

"Aye, just cause you wake up at the crack'a dawn, don't me we all do." I chuckled, hugging and kissing her temple, "You cook?"

"I did. Your plate is in the microwave."

"Thank you."

I heated up my plate of breakfast before taking a seat at the table and begun to devour the meal.

"How's the team doing?" She inquired, turning down the music.

I swallowed the food in my mouth before replying, "Good— workin' hard. I let em get practice off today since school just started and they been on their game over the Summer."

"Bringing home the championship trophy this year?"

"That's the plan."

"Y'all will bring it home." She spoke confidently, "I heard about your old attorney running for Mayor of Lyrewood."

"Yeah, he told me bout it."

"What's on your mind?" Madukes asked approaching the table.

"Whatchu mean? I'm good."