Chapter Twenty Three.

AALEA JIMENEZ

               Lunchtime

               Lunchtime. Chatter around the cafeteria surrounded me. Sitting alone at the table, I had on a Nike Windbreaker with distressed frayed skinny jeans and black Retro Thirteens. My hair brushed back in sleek, side parted low bun and heart-shaped hoop earrings in my ears. On the table sat the teal colored lunch tray with spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, mixed vegetables and strawberry milk carton. Beside it is a single sheet of construction paper I folded in half, scribbling down a drawing.

A feeling of hands touching my waist caused me to stare over my shoulder and spot Sharif. Since the day we napped together in my bedroom last month, Sharif and I have been texting and talking a lot more lately. He's definitely became more affectionate with me at school.

He kissed me and took a seat in the chair beside me. "Whatchu doin' over here by yourself, girl?"

"Nothing, drawing."

"Word? Let me see," he took the paper before I could decline. He nodded, "this dope as fuck. Who eyes, though?"

"My moms," I responded taking the drawing back

"My moms," I responded taking the drawing back. "I don't know why I start drawing her eyes, but they were in my head, soo, here they are."

"You talented as hell," he complimented.

"Thank you. ."

"Why you acting so shy?" He inquired, eying me intently.

I shyly shrugged.

"You ain't gotta be," he turned my face to his so I'm locking eyes with him. "You my baby, girl."

My eyebrows furrowed, "since when?"

"Since the Summer and I took yo' virginity." I quickly covered his mouth with my hand as two snickering girls walked passed us. His chuckle muffled under my hand.

I moved my hand from his mouth and say, "Will you stop blurting that out?"

"It's true," he shrugged, "this year we just makin' it official." He pulled out his iPhone. I watched him type in his passcode and go to Facebook.