V3 - Chapter Thirty One.

𝐑𝐇𝐘𝐒 𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒

               Over two thousand miles near the Pacific coast is how far away from Lyrewood. It's on day two my sister and me have been settled in a small town in Washington. It may not be populated with many African American's, but it's the least suspected place we could be found. With us coming here without any clothing, oral or body hygiene products, pre-owned clothes from Goodwill and products from Dollar Tree have been our saviors. They had better quality stores here, but saving money was our best thing for us right now.

It was Friday morning and the weather warm, partially cloudy. We both chose to grab a bite to eat from the diner not to far away from the motel we're currently occupying. It had a 50s theme and old-timey atmosphere. I sat in the booth, staring out the window at the scenery in vintage clothing from head-to-toe with my hair brushed back into a bun. The view of the mountains captivated my attention. I've never seen anything so beautiful in life. Growing up in Lyrewood, you don't see nature as well as you would on this part of the coast.

"Look what I got," the singsong voice made me turn from the window and found Yolanda approaching the booth with a brown bag in her hand.

"Looks to me like you spent money when I told you not to."

She sucked her teeth. "It was under ten dollas, girl. Relax. I got it from that li'l gift shop in here."

"Well. . what you get?" I asked, raising the fork to my mouth and ate the shredded hash browns.

"Hats and sunglasses for one..." She paused, handing me a plain dad cap and dark aviator sunglasses and I took them in my hand. "Suppose you may wanna go incognito one of these days."

I chuckle softly when she put on her sunglasses, clicking her tongue and posed. "Great thinking, Yoyo."

"I'm smart like that. But anyway, lastly, I bought these for us."

I fit the cap on my head when she pulled out boho-styled bracelets with a flower and leaf pattern; one had yellow beads and the other had turquoise. She gave me the one with yellow.

"They were only one dollar too and the woman say her and her daughter mad them. Ain't they cute?" Yolanda extended her wrist, flashing the bracelet.

I slipped mine on my right wrist. "They are nice."

Yolanda made small conversation while eating her breakfast just when the television caught my attention. It was broadcasting breaking news. I tuned out everything around me beside the man's voice speaking on the Tv. .

"Breaking news out of Lyrewood, Oklahoma — A worldwide manhunt has been put out on twenty-one year old, Rhys Sanders for the murder of three people; Lyrewood's Governor Kevin Benson, Chicago's drug lord, Hollis White, and twenty two year old Heather Brown. The suspect and another woman was last seen driving north bound in a 1984 Toyota Cressida from 7-Eleven cameras. Police authorities have asked if you have any information to please call and to be aware, she's armed and dangerous."

"What are you — what the fuck?"

"We gotta go." I quickly said, covering my eyes with the sunglasses.

Before could get another word out, I snatched her up from the booth and tossing a twenty on the table. She grabbed what she bought from the gift shop and I briskly pulled her behind me out of the diner, going unnoticed.