Chapter Twenty Eight.

MARSHAY HAYES

               My fourth hour is African American Literature

               My fourth hour is African American Literature. Our teacher, Mr. Bryce Greene was out right now while I only me and a few other students were already in there. My white and black checkered slip-on Vans rested on the book holder under the desk in front of me while my quilted leather backpack rested on top of my desk. I held my iPhone covered with a Melanin Poppin' case and reading the text notification from my father's girlfriend. .

Sienna

Hey, I was thinking we should go for food... Get to know each other?

Before I could press the notification to reply, the school bell rung. I locked my phone when noticing all of the desk were full of students.

"Good afternoon," Mr. Greene footed into the classroom in his suede Chelsea Boots that he paired with a button down dress shirt hugging his toned physique and black slacks. Average height with low tapered fade and light brown skin.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Greene." We all chimed in unison.

Placing his leather messenger bag on his desk, the classroom door opened. In walking late. . again, a student and baseball player, Cooper Bryant. He had ruddy cinnamon skin and ginger hair that's tapered with soft curls. Athletic built and tall, he clothed his body in a black Polo crewneck long sleeve tee and ripped frayed jeans, hanging slightly from his waist with black suede Timberlands. His North Face backpack hung from his right shoulder as he held its strap.

"Mr. Bryant," Mr. Greene stopped him from walking to his desk. "You're supposed to come in class before the bell rings. Not after."

"My fault, Mr. B," his raspy voice apologized. "I was choppin' it up wit Coach Dunn at the baseball building."

"Really? You gotta pass for me?"

Cooper touched his pockets, "See, what had happen was–"

"That's what I thought," Mr. Greene cut him off as the class snickered. "Sit down."

Cooper footed down the same aisle where my desk was located. Polo cologne radiating off of his body brushed passed my nose when he walked by me and planted in the desk behind me.

"Now that everyone is present," he glanced at Cooper. "We're going to continue. Today, I'm assigning partners for a project I'm wanting you to do on influential African American men or women. They can be authors, musicians, civil rights leaders; anything, Now, I want to be specific about something. . I want you guys to dig deeper into history. I love people like Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, even Barack Obama, but that's all everyone writes or talks about and I want to see new; different names than I saw last year. Give me some new names, some I may haven't heard of before. That's what I mean by dig deep."