V2 - Chapter Fifteen.

𝐆𝐈𝐎𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐈 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐒𝐎𝐍

The newborn whimpered and stirred softly after I changed his diaper and buttoned his heather gray footed sleeper. Raising him in my arms, I bounced him lightly and rubbed his soft hair to soothe him. A week the newborn has been living under Memaw and Auntie Mercedes roof. Auntie Mercedes and I had the baby checked out by one of friends, who work in Pediatrics. She told us his age and checked to make sure nothing was wrong. A one month old newborn was left on the porch, on a gloomy and light raining night. Completely healthy and clear of any infections, we had nothing to worry about, and neither did the baby.

Sadly, he had no name because one was not left behind. He was nameless. I haven't thought about a nickname, but definitely planned on coming up with one, since we couldn't keep not calling him a name.

I rubbed his soft hair and continued to bounce lightly. "You're such a beautiful baby— a baby without a Mommy. . . But you could possibly have a Daddy on the way here, baby-boy. I have a Mommy, but she's not around like a Mommy should, so I will understand that emptiness you will feel when you're old enough to recognize she's not around. But — you will have a Dad. A Dad that will love you. Coach Watson is a great man. He will raise you correctly and into a man, Boogie."

Door bell went off around the house when I realized I gave him a nickname.

"Boogie— Boogie, there's your nickname honey. I found one." Grin on my face burned my cheeks, as I kissed his forehead softly.

"Giovanni! Shawn is here!"

"Coming," I called out and footed out my old bedroom and to the front of the house while keeping a hold of Boogie's small body. Coach Watson stood in the living room with Auntie Mercedes; in the middle of a conversation until I walked in. "Hey, Coach."

"I think we at Shawn now, Giovanni," he smiled widely as his eyes landed on the newborn in my arms. "Girl, when you have a baby?"

"Oh— no, I didn't have a baby."

"Oh... Mercedes, you and Rico?" He inquired, referring to her boyfriend.

"Absolutely not," She quickly responded. "I love him, but no way I'm having a baby right now."

"Okay. . . So, who baby is it? I know Memaw ain't push out nobody baby out." Shawn chuckled which had us awkwardly snicker.

"It's. . . uh, your baby, Shawn."

Suddenly, he stopped the snickering when he realized Auntie Mercedes expression read to him that she wasn't making a joke. "Wait — whatchu talkin' bout Mercedes? I, uh, don't have no babies. Last woman I was with she—" Pausing he stared at me holding the newborn. "Disappeared," he finished his sentence.

Taken aback and looking at the newborn on my chest. "You...uh, tryna tell me—"

"He is Carmen's baby; your baby, yeah." Auntie Mercedes confirmed.

Shawn released a shaky chuckle and remained confused.

"You, uh, can hold him?"

"That's. . . he's my baby?"

"We can do a paternity test if you need more clarity but he's Carmen baby. The only person she mentioned she was dating is you."