V3 - Chapter One.

𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐒 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐒𝐎𝐍

Blaring of the smoke alarm woke me. My mind crowded with confusion as I slightly raised my body from my mattress covered in soft gray sheets and matching pillowcases. A silk bonnet protected my natural curls. I draw in air audibly through my nose, detecting the smell around the house. It doesn't take me to recognize the rich oaky smell of a fire and leaped out of my bed in only my bra and panties, rushing out of my bedroom. Wisps of light smoke curled and danced through the hazy hallway.

"What the hell did you do?!"

Sound of my sister's shouting increased my barefooted speed on the floor and to the kitchen where the smoke escaped from. Memaw stood frightened in her cotton robe while Courtnee sprayed the flaming pan on the stove with the sink sprayer. Jumping into panic mode, I grabbed the fire extinguisher from underneath the counter.

"Move!" I commanded in a raised tone, pulling the pin from the extinguisher.

Once Courtnee stopped spraying the water and moved back, I aimed the nozzle at the base of fire, squeezing the trigger and sweeping the spray from side to side until the fire is put out. Smoky smell lingered in the air and black residue stained the white stove.

I exhale sharply, turning around to face Courtnee. "What the hell?"

"Nuh-uh, don't look at me," She dismissively gestures, putting the sink sprayer in its place. "Look at her," she points at Memaw, "she having one of those dumb episodes and forgot she was fucking cooking."

"Relax. . ." I sigh, sitting the fire extinguisher on the counter as I look at Memaw. "Hey, you okay?"

"No. Who is this woman burning food in my house?"

"Great!" Courtnee rolls her eyes and gestures her annoyance, "She's forgetful."

"Shut up Court." Shaking my head, I approach Memaw cautiously to not frighten her any further, "Come on, Mrs. Johnson. Let's get you back to bed."

"What's the noise?" She asked in a panic while allowing me to walk her to her bedroom, "Turn off the noise!"

"I will," I assure her, "Courtnee turn off the damn smoke detector!"

Just as we both walked in her bedroom the smoke detector stops blaring and I assisted her into her bed.

"Why is that woman burning food in my house?" She asked as I tuck her underneath the cover.

"She's sorry," I kissed her forehead and softly rubbed her hair. "Get you some beauty rest."

Once her eyelids sealed, I left her bedroom and cracked the door behind me. When I returned to the kitchen Courtnee tossed the burned food and pan into the trashcan.

"Those were the last fucking French Toast Sticks." She exhaled sharply
and shook her head, "I don't know why you gave up yo life to deal with this."

My hand massaged my temple, "Gave up my life?"

"Yes," She faced me. "Gave up your life to take care of her. You graduate high school and college then finish med school before you even can do your internship at a hospital, you gave that up and start working in a nursing home," she frowned in disgust, "And taking care of the woman who barely recognizes you majority of the day. You could be one of the best Surgeons in this world yet you here; forty-two and still in the same exact position — stuck in Lyrewood."