Chapter Six. .

KYLAN BURGESS

          "Aight, Coach, I'm gone

          "Aight, Coach, I'm gone."

DeAndre stood at doorway of my office while I gathered my belongings to return home for the night, too. "Aight, Dre. Be safe out there. Good job today."

"Preciate it. See ya," was his final words before he proceeded to walk away.

My phone vibrated against the desk; grabbing my attention. I zipped up my bag before I picked up my phone, smiling at the text from my daughter Raquel.

Nugget

Hope practice went good. Don't work them to hard dad lol. I love you & goodnight.

I love you too. Sleep tight.

Everything I gathered before I locked up my phone. The gym was offaly quiet since no one was in there but me. Approaching the corner is when I heard the squeaking of the locker opening which caused me to halt. I looked over my shoulder thinking I was tripping, but heard the locker shut followed by a voice talking. I thought wrong when I assumed I was the only one in the gym, I guess. I neared the boy's locker room and the voice I was hearing was a familiar one. So I walked in.

"Jonas?"

My voice startled him; he jumped, turning around with wide eyes. I looked over on the floor taking note to the backpack and a cover. "Whatchu doing here? I thought you left?"

"No...um, I..." He stammered; not able to find his words.

"You've been living in here?"

He sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "Yes sir. ."

"For how long?"

"Just a couple days. . A week, tops."

"Where yo Mom?"

"She put me out. We got into a argument."

"Cmon, Jo, why you ain't tell me, huh? You don't trust me?"

"Ion trust nobody with this, Coach. I didn't tell nobody because I've already been in the system. I'm not going back. You don't have to tell nobody cause I'll leave, aight?"

"And go where?"

Jonas shrugged. "I'll figure it out... I always do."

I stood there, watching as Jonas packed up his backpack and immediately felt sorry for him. I knew him and his mother didn't have the best relationship, but I didn't think it was that bad to kicked out her own son. I was not about to let him walk out of here with nowhere to go. "Hold on, Jonas, you can come with me."

"I'm good, Coach. Ion wanna be a burden."

"If I felt that way I wouldn't have suggested it. Come on."