Illusions- Peter Parker

(Gender Neutral Reader)

***Spiderman: Far From Home Spoilers***

You ran your hands over your face for what felt like the hundredth time in the past twenty minutes. "You're not listening to me, Peter," you said, tapping into whatever calmness you still had as you paced the hotel room. 

"You're saying I shouldn't be Spiderman!" Peter said in return, sounding more in disbelief than angry. At least right now. 

"No! I'm saying that you're not only Spiderman!" you shouted in return as your impatience was getting the better of you. "You're still Peter Parker! And you need to realize that you're still just a kid! You still have a life outside of being a superhero believe it or not!"

"That's not my priority, it can't be!" he yelled. That sounded more like anger. 

"What's that supposed to mean?!" You stopped your pacing and crossed your arms, facing your boyfriend. The logical part of you knew bringing this argument up on a school trip to Europe, but you couldn't help it. 

"I have to help people, that has to come first. If it's not me then who else will?" Peter said with an attempt at a calmer tone, hoping to get his point across.

"Were you not in Upstate New York a few months ago? From what you told me, there were dozens of superheroes fighting Thanos, so how the hell does it all suddenly land on you?" Peter ran fingers through his hair impatiently. So you were both on the same page. 

"You know how much this means to me! You know what Mr. Stark..." he trailed off, and even you felt the stab of pain in his chest. "You know that I have to do this."

"Not if you destroy your life in the process!" you yelled before you could help it.

Peter returned your tone. "You're one to talk! You're just as invested in this life as I am!" 

"To help you!" you said defensively. You were always there for him with the superhero stuff. Yes, Ned was his "guy in the chair," but you were more in the field. Sure, you got a little closer to the action sometimes, but you just wanted to help anyway you could. "Because I had to watch my boyfriend fly off into space with hardly any backup, and wait! I waited for you to come back, or save the world, and I was wrecked! And when I started turning to dust... I had no idea what was happening to you! So sue me if I want to help you now!"

"That's exactly why you shouldn't be the one that's helping me! It's dangerous and you know someone like you can get hurt!" he shouted, and you felt your mindset shifting. Suddenly, it felt like the two of you were standing on thin ice. 

"Meaning what?" you asked, the toughness in your voice starting to crumble, despite your best efforts. 

"You're not the superhero, I am!" Peter had regret in his eyes as soon as the words left his mouth. You knew that was what he meant, you just...didn't think he'd say it out loud. You didn't think he really thought that. 

Tears started stinging your eyes as you and Peter painfully refused to look away from each other. Then Peter's phone started to ring. His eyes fluttered closed regretfully, and he pulled out his phone. His face fell even more as he looked at who was calling. 

"It's- It's Fury, I have to take this, I-" You didn't let him finish, no matter how guilty he sounded.

"Yeah. You're the superhero," you said, frosty and bitter, "you should go." Tears threatened to spill onto your cheeks so you turned towards the door. You don't know if he said anything else after the door shut behind you, or if he had the same guilty twisting in his stomach.