43-The Jog

"What's with all the yelling?" Kendra said rolling over where she was facing the back of the couch and fell back asleep on Calum's chest.
"They're all just so cute." Shawna said looking at our best friends as they cuddled in their sleep.
Luke got up and walked to his room while me and Shawna sat on the porch in a swing drinking our coffee.
"I love doing these things!" Shawna exclaimed.
"What things princess?"
"These cute couple things we always do. Like this, just sitting on the porch, cuddled up on this cool fall morning, just drinking our coffee." she let out a satisfied sigh. "It's perfect. You're perfect." She said kissing my cheek.
"Ew coffee breath!" I joked.
"Oh like you're one to talk!" she giggled as Luke walked out of the house and down the porch.
"Where ya going Luke?" I asked.
"Oh I was gonna go for a jog while everyone else wakes up." Luke said bending down to tie his shoe.
"Is everything okay Luke? you never go alone." Shawna asked worried.
"Yeah, everything is fine. I'll be back in about 30 minutes." Luke said running off the porch and down the drive way.
"It seems like there's something bothering Luke." Shawna said. I could tell she was worried about him. But I know Luke. He's a huge blabber mouth and was probably trying to get away so he wouldn't blow the surprise.
"Don't worry about him baby. He's probably working on a new song. He always goes alone when he's working on a new song." I said trying to comfort Shawna.
"Okay baby." she said smiling as she finished her coffee. I sat both of our empty coffee cups on the table and put my arm around her shoulders pulling her close to me as she laid her head in the crook of my neck. We sat swinging and watching the tree as the leaves began to fall. I think we must have fallen back asleep because the next thing I remember is hearing the screen door slam shut and Ashton's voice saying, "Michael wake up!" I groaned.
"Ashton let us sleep."
"Michael, Luke is missing!" Ashton shouted worried.
"It's fine Ash. He just went for a jog, he should be back any minute."
"Michael he's been gone for 2 hours!"
"WHAT!?" I shot up almost throwing Shawna to the ground.
"What is going on?" Shawna asked confused.
"LUKE IS MISSING!" I said running in the house as Shawna chased me.
"Baby calm down. Luke just went for a jog. Remember? He should be back any minute." She said trying to relax me. I ran to the bedroom searching for some shoes as she still followed me.
"Baby what are you doing?" She asked confused.
"Baby find some shoes. We're going to look for him. Ashton said he's been gone for over 2 hours!" I shouted as I put my shoes on.
"HE WHAT!?" she shouted worried and slipped on some sandals.
"C'mon baby lets go find him." I shouted grabbing her hand and dragging her to the car. We jumped in and backed out of the drive way and drove around the block. I could see some cop cars and an ambulance ahead in the road at what looked like a wreck and began to slow down. We got up to the scene and I hit the brakes hard and threw the car into park and jumped out running to a guy laying in the ditch.
"Sir please back away." A cop told me as I bursted into tears.
"Sir that's his best friend!" Shawna exclaimed as I held Luke in my arms.
"Sir please. We need to get him to the hospital as soon as possible." A paramedic said. I stood up and cried as they loaded my best friend into the ambulance.
"You can ride with him." the paramedic told me as I turned to look at Shawna.
"What are you? Stupid? GO WITH HIM! I'll go back and get everyone else and meet you there." Shawna shouted. She kissed me. "I love you sweetie." She jumped back in the car and drove back to her house. I got in the ambulance with Luke and we took off.
"I-is he alive?" I choked out as the paramedic hooked some machines up to him. I held my breath waiting on a reply. I heard the rhythmic beeping of a machine showing his heart rate and relaxed a little. It pained me to look at him, laying there so lifeless it seemed. I held his hand tight all the way to the hospital.
"Lukey please be okay. I'll never forgive myself for letting you go alone. Just please, please be okay." I prayed.
We arrived at the hospital and I got out of the ambulance so they could unload him. He was immediately rushed in for an emergency surgery and I was forced to wait in a waiting room. About 15 minutes later Shawna came in with everyone else. She walked over and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around her as tight as I could, probably crushing her, but I wouldn't let go. I began to cry on her shoulder as a doctor came into the waiting room.
"Luke Hemmings' friends and family?" the doctor called out.
"Over here!" Calum yelled out and the doctor walked over to us.
"Is anyone family?"
"N-no, but I'm the closest to it. Please tell me he's okay." I cried.
"I'm sorry but he doesn't look too good right now."