Two-Sided Stories

Sitting across from Fiona, at a local diner just a few blocks away from the courthouse, I stared at her unconsciously as she began to act frantic. Looking outside the window, around the diner, but by the time the waitress came to ask what I wanted Fiona had finally calmed down.

"What would you like to drink, Honey?" She asked me.

"Um...coffee, black, please."

"Of course." She sighed, flipping back her notepad before I turned back to Fiona.

"I'm sorry...to surprise you like this...I just thought that...well, we don't really know each other. I didn't even know Leo had family in town." I mumbled.

Laying my coat and purse beside me, I took a quick glance outside where the car was parked to see Annelise watching us out the window.

"...you look just like her." She sighed, catching my attention again.

"Excuse me?"

"...Carolyn. You have her eyes...and her smile."

"Thank you...I tend to get that a lot...except for my eye color, I get that-"

"From Leonel." She blurted out, cutting me off.

"I'm sorry...I've just...I've waited so long to finally meet you. I see your face all over hospital pamphlets that this meeting...it doesn't feel real."

"Hmm...neither does this trial," I added just as the waitress came back with my coffee.

"Here, you go sweetheart. Anything to eat?" She asked.

"Um, no. Thank you."

Cradling the cup of coffee in my hands, I could feel Fiona's eyes staring at me until I looked up at her.

"I'm so sorry...that you have to go through this. I didn't expect you to be here. Leonel didn't say-"

"He doesn't know that I'm here..." I added.

"...but you were at the hearing, right?"

"Yes..."

"So...you heard everything."

Nodding my head, I took a drink of my coffee when a few police sirens sound off in the distance.

A glossy finished emerged in her eyes as I continued to watch her, her eyes blinking frantically until a tear drops down her cheek.

"I'm sorry, it's just-"

"He's your son...I understand. I would do the same thing for mine."

"You have children?" She gasped.

"Yeah...a son and a daughter."

"So...I'm a great-grandmother? Wow..."

Smiling down at the table, I take another glance at the car where Frank was stretching outside of the car.

"You're married, then?" She asked.

"Yeah...almost two years."

"Oh my...it's amazing how fast time goes by, isn't it. I hope your relationship with your husband is better...God knows Carolyn and Leo's was not."

"You mean because of the affair?" I asked.

"Your mother...she was perfect for Leonel. But there were problems, like any relationship."

"Another man is definitely a problem."

"Who told you that?" She questioned.

"My mother...she said the affair ended when Elliot found out."