Home Sweet Home

Sitting up at the edge of my bed, I was frozen, spaced out for what seemed like hours. The sun had peeked through the curtains, cars honked in the distance, and sirens blared out through the streets. I could hear Annelise wandering around the apartment as she spoke on the phone with some of her students before a knock came at my door.

"It's open..." I whispered, throwing the sheets off my legs.

"Good Morning..."

"Morning..." I mumbled.

"I'm heading to the courthouse for Nate Sr' case...I thought I should let you know."

Nodding my head, I stood up and slowly made my way over to the bathroom door.

"Frank will be here in a few minutes, he's gonna be taking you..."

"You're not coming with?" I asked.

"No...I don't know really, this case could take hours...I'll let you know if anything happens."

"Okay..."

"Oh, and Oliver will be coming with, so you don't feel awkward with Frank."

"Why would I feel awkward? I'm just going to my fathers' old house, where I happened to have been raped and abused for 15 years..." I mumbled.

"Elle, you said you could do this."

"I can...I just-, I'm sorry, going back to that house...I couldn't stop thinking about it the entire night."

"I can make you some coffee?" She asked, opening the door wider.

"Nope, it's fine...I'll stop by and get something...I'll be fine."

"Okay..." She mumbled, avoiding eye contact."

Sliding my hand down the wall, I stood between the bathroom and Annelise.

"He knew, didn't he? Frank." I added, watching Annelise cautiously.

"...I asked him to help me with a case involving a rape that happened 15 years ago, and being the noisy guy he is...must've figured it out."

"Should I be worried?" I asked.

"No. With Frank...you can trust him. He'll watch out for you."

Excusing herself, she had made her way out the door by the time I turned on the water and gotten undressed.

Reaching up to the showerhead, small clouds of steam had scattered in the room fogging up the mirrors and the doorknobs. The ceramic floor was still cold to the touch as I stepped inside, soaking my body first before I slathered on handfuls of soap and shampoo.

With my head lost in thoughts again, I stayed under the running water breathing heavily out of my mouth as it ran down my face and the side of my neck. My eyes fell closed over and over because of the thick steam, each time showing me the images like photographs. 

At first, all I saw was a bedroom, painted in a muted pink, decorated with stickers and posters. Then suddenly I was in a white room, darkened by the covered windows and the black posters pinned on the wall. Yet with every blink, I felt myself jump back and forth from the pink room to the white room until the sound of a door slamming startled me.

'Could you slam it any harder?' I heard Frank say, followed by the echo of his boots.

'Sorry...I just, I don't understand why she needs me to help her...and quite honestly you haven't told me what I'm doing?'

'You're helping Annelise with a case...'

'A case that involves Elena Shepherd...is she getting sued? Or blackmailed?'