Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Alyssa

I opened my eyes and looked around me. I had something strapped to my stomach and a continuous, but steady beeping noise next to me. It took me a moment to realize that I was in the hospital.

"I'm so glad that you are okay." My mom said wrapping her arms around me. 

I looked around and saw my dad, Kayla, my little brother and Jailee. I'm not even sure what happened or how I even ended up here in the first place.

"...umm..." That's all I managed to get out.

"Why didn't you tell us that you were pregnant Alyssa?" My mom said.

My heart started racing as everything suddenly started to hit me at once. I never wanted any of them to find out this way. Ryan and I had just been fighting and I guess I got too worked up.

I put my head down. "I had no intentions on you all finding out this way."

"Don't worry, a baby is a blessing. We're just glad you're okay." My dad said walking over and kissing my forehead.

"We knew Alyssa...you didn't have to tell us. We were just wondering when you were going to say something." My mom said.

"How'd you know?" I questioned.

She smiled. "I know my kids."

Jailee cleared her throat. "Well I didn't and I'm supposed to be your best friend." 

"I'm sorry, but please don't tell anyone. I have no idea what's going on." I said.

"It's okay Alyssa."

Dr. Slate came walking into my room and everyone got pretty quiet. She seemed as though she had some terrible news to deliver to me and I got a little nervous.

"Miss Patterson, how are you feeling?" Dr. Slate asked while standing at my bedside.

"Umm...I'm not sure at all. I'm kinda just waking up." I said.

"I have some concerns for you and the baby." Dr. Slate said.

I sat up in my bed. "Why? Is my baby okay?" 

"You came into the ER with a blood pressure that was so high, I'm surprised it didn't cause you to have a stroke. You are putting the growing baby under a lot of stress. That's not good for the baby nor for you. You definitely could have miscarried. Too much stress on you can affect the baby in ways you wouldn't think. It's important for you to eliminate as much stress as possible. If you don't, what can happen is that the baby will be born prematurely or with a low birth weight. You don't want either of those. We want to bring in a healthy baby. I want to keep a close eye on you for the next two months and I'm gonna recommend bedrest for now until I feel comfortable enough that the baby will be okay. You're about 12 weeks now and my top priority is making sure that the both of you are safe. Do you have any questions?" Dr. Slate explained to me.

I sighed. "I can't do bedrest, I have an entire business to run." 

"That isn't important right now Alyssa. Dr. Slate said that you and the baby are the priority." My mom said.