Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Alyssa

"What's good pops?" Ryan said as we sat down on my parent's couch. 

I had a surprise for Ryan. He hates surprises, but he's going to love what I did for him. 

"Not shit. How everything going with you since you went to see ol' boy last week?" My dad said. 

Ryan and my dad have a different kind of relationship that I think only the two of them really understand. He kind of look to my dad for guidance in a weird way. I'm honestly just happy that I'm marrying someone that my dad approves of. He's super protective over me but he likes Ryan for me. 

"It put a lot of stuff into perspective for me. I promised myself to be better than him so that's all I can try to do." Ryan said. 

My dad sat across from Ryan and I like he was in deep thought about what he was going to say. 

"I'm gonna say this...I can't tell you how to feel because at the end of the day, it all falls on you. Don't let that shit take no more of your energy than it already has. It's a fucked up situation and I hate you had to go through the shit. You find out how strong you are when that's the only option left. I salute you for pushing through all that at such a young age. Not many would've survived in your shoes. Shit, I don't think I would have. It's hard as hell trying to move on, I get it. I knew when I met you years ago that you was a good kid otherwise you wouldn't be with my daughter. Just don't dwell on the past, forgive for your peace of mind, but you don't ever have to forget. Take care of your family. I took you in a long ass time ago, don't ever hesitate to come chop it up with me when shit bothering you. I know from experience that shit isn't healthy at all. It's cool for you to show emotion...my wife taught me that. I'm always here." 

I stared at my dad kind of in disbelief. I love him and Ryan so much. I don't know why but this just warms my heart. 

"I appreciate that and I'll keep that in mind. I'm working through it, but I'm gonna be straight. I've survived this long." Ryan smirked. 

He really is always trying to be strong...like now. 

"You need to stop acting so tough all the time babe." I said laying on his chest. 

"I'm good." Ryan said. 

"You say that, but we all know you keep stuff bottled up." I told him. 

"Leave that man alone Alyssa." My dad said. 

My mom came walking into the house with my little brother, Eli and Kayla. She had bags in her hands like they had been shopping. My dad instantly jumped up and got everything from her. 

I know my parents aren't perfect, but I swear they always look like the happiest couple when they are around me. I truly believe they are happy. My dad looks at her all the time like he's so in love with her. 

That's all I want. 

"Ryan, come in here and let's talk privately." My dad said motioning for Ryan to follow him. 

I wonder what that is about. 

My mom walked over and hugged me then sat down on the couch. 

"Did you tell him?" My mom whispered to me.